Beginning a career after grad school

In summary, the speaker asks how individuals gained employment after finishing grad school, specifically in a STEM field. They mention completing a Master of Science in mechanical engineering and inquire about different methods for finding employment, such as applying online or talking to a school/professor. Another individual shares their experience of getting a job through connections and later being contacted by a head hunter after completing a PhD. They note that it was not difficult for them to find employment.
member 428835
Hi PF!

Just as the title says, I'm wondering how you gained work after finishing grad school? While any STEM field is relatable, I will have completed my Master of Science in mechanical engineering this December and am wondering what some of you have done to gain employment?

Do you just apply everywhere online, or talk to your school/supervising professor, or something else?

Also, how early did you seriously start seeking employment before graduating?

Thanks so much!

Josh

Physics news on Phys.org
I got my first professional job after I finished an MSME (I was 25 at the time). I simply talked to some friends who worked at the place I wanted a job, and the greased the skids for me.

Later, after I had finished a PhD, I taught for a couple of years and then went looking for an industrial job. I was contacted by a head hunter who set me up and away we went. It was never very hard to do.

Thanks for you insight!

1. How do I find job opportunities after graduate school?

One way to find job opportunities after graduate school is to network with professionals in your field. Attend conferences and events, join professional organizations, and reach out to alumni from your graduate program. You can also search for job postings online and through your university's career center.

2. What skills and experiences are employers looking for?

Employers are often looking for a combination of technical skills and soft skills. Technical skills can vary depending on your field of study, but soft skills such as communication, problem-solving, and teamwork are always in high demand. Employers also value relevant work experience, internships, and research projects.

3. How do I prepare for job interviews?

To prepare for job interviews, research the company and the position you are applying for. Practice answering common interview questions and have examples ready to showcase your skills and experiences. Dress professionally and arrive early for the interview. Be confident and enthusiastic about the opportunity.

4. Should I take the first job offer I receive?

It is important to carefully consider any job offers you receive after graduate school. Consider the job responsibilities, salary and benefits, location, and potential for growth and advancement. It may also be helpful to discuss the offer with mentors or career advisors.

5. How can I continue to develop my skills after starting a job?

Continuing to develop your skills is important to stay relevant and advance in your career. You can attend workshops and conferences, take online courses or certifications, and seek out new challenges and projects at work. It is also beneficial to network with colleagues and seek mentorship opportunities.