Behavior of gaseous oxygen in a closed box under magnetic field?

In summary, Vander, a biologist and scientist, is interested in magnets and their effects on oxygen. He has read that magnetic fields can attract both liquid and gaseous oxygen. He then poses a question about the behavior of oxygen molecules in a closed box with a permanent magnet. The conversation continues with a discussion about the magnetic properties of oxygen and the potential for convection movement within the box.
Vander
Hi all,
I'm new here, and I hope I'm doing this right. I mean posting where I should.
Feel free to let me know. ;-)

First, I'm a biologist but I'm a scientist and I'm interested in magnets recently.
I read that magnetic field attract oxygen liquid (all over you tube) and also gaseous since faraday.
So far, no problem.

Now, let's put air in a box, close it and put a permanent magnet (whatever strength) on one side of the box.
Here is my question : Is oxygen attracted on the side of the box where there is the magnet, or it's creating a convection mouvement ?
If you have a third option, I'll take it as well. ;-)

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers

Vander

Physics news on Phys.org
By the molecular configuration of oxygen, two electrons are unpaired (i.e it is paramagnetic). So, the oxygen (O2) molecule will be attracted to magnet.

Hi Godparticule,

Yes, I agree with the fact that since oxygen has two unpaired electrons it will be attracted by the magnetic field.
Now, in a close box filled up with air (including oxygen), oxygen will still be attracted by the magnet that is on the side of it right ?

I have the feeling that the movement of oxygen molecules will create a flux inside the box and that oxygen molecules will turn around. Am I right, or this is total bullshit ?

Thanks for your answer

V

1. What is the effect of a magnetic field on the behavior of gaseous oxygen in a closed box?

The presence of a magnetic field can affect the behavior of gaseous oxygen in a closed box in several ways. One of the most significant effects is the alignment of the oxygen molecules along the direction of the magnetic field. This alignment can lead to changes in the density and pressure of the gas, as well as alterations in its thermal conductivity and diffusion coefficient. Additionally, the presence of a magnetic field can also induce changes in the chemical reactions and reactions rates involving oxygen molecules.

2. How does the strength of the magnetic field impact the behavior of gaseous oxygen?

The strength of the magnetic field can have a significant impact on the behavior of gaseous oxygen. As the strength of the magnetic field increases, the alignment of oxygen molecules becomes more pronounced, leading to changes in the physical and chemical properties of the gas. Furthermore, a stronger magnetic field can also affect the motion and interactions of the oxygen molecules, resulting in changes in its diffusion and thermal properties.

3. Can a magnetic field affect the temperature of gaseous oxygen in a closed box?

Yes, a magnetic field can influence the temperature of gaseous oxygen in a closed box. When a magnetic field is applied, the oxygen molecules align themselves along the direction of the field, which can lead to changes in the kinetic energy of the molecules. This change in kinetic energy can result in a change in temperature, with some areas of the gas becoming warmer and others becoming cooler.

4. Is the behavior of gaseous oxygen under a magnetic field reversible?

Yes, the behavior of gaseous oxygen under a magnetic field is reversible. When the magnetic field is removed, the alignment of the oxygen molecules will gradually return to their original state, and the physical and chemical properties of the gas will revert to their original values. However, the rate at which this reversal occurs may depend on the specific conditions, such as the strength and duration of the magnetic field.

5. Can the behavior of gaseous oxygen under a magnetic field be used for practical applications?

Yes, the behavior of gaseous oxygen under a magnetic field has several practical applications. For example, the alignment of oxygen molecules can be harnessed in the process of magnetic separation, which is used to purify oxygen gas. Additionally, the magnetic field can also be used to control the diffusion of oxygen molecules in certain chemical reactions, making it a useful tool in industrial processes and research experiments.