Bell's theorem vs Kochen–Specker theorem

In summary, the Kochen-Specker theorem is a complement to Bell's theorem and states that the values of observables found by measurement cannot be the same before measurement, either due to a non-realist interpretation or a change in values caused by measurement. This concept, known as contextuality, is proven by both the Bell and Kochen-Specker theorems, however, the latter does not depend on the specific quantum state being measured. Further information on the relationship between these two theorems can be found in the research paper referenced above.
PreposterousUniverse
I know of Bell's theorem. Kochen-Specker theorem is supposed to be a complement to Bell's theorem. I tried to understand it by reading the Wikipedia article. But I couldn't fully grasp the essential feature of this theorem, in what way it complements Bell's theorem. What are the main implications of Kochen-Specker's theorem, which Bell's original theorem did not address?

Likes Demystifier
Physics news on Phys.org
PreposterousUniverse said:
Kochen-Specker theorem is supposed to be a complement to Bell's theorem.
Can you give a reference for this claim? It's hard to answer your question without knowing what this claim is based on.

In short, Kochen-Specker theorem says that, in general, the values of observables found by measurement could not have been the same before measurement. Either (i) the system before measurement didn't have any sharp values of observables at all (non-realist interpretation), or (ii) it did have some sharp values (realist interpretation) but the act of measurement somehow changed them. That's called contextuality, where (i) and (ii) are two interpretations of contextuality. The Bell theorem says that, for some special quantum states and under certain reasonable additional assumptions, the change in (ii) cannot be described by any local law.

Note that the Bell theorem does not assume contextuality, it proves contextuality in a different way by itself. So why do we need the Kochen-Specker theorem if the Bell theorem proves it as well, in a technically much simpler way? The difference is that the Bell theorem proves it only for some special quantum states, while the Kochen-Specker does not depend on the state (in a Hilbert space of dimension larger than two).

For the relation of two theorems see also
https://arxiv.org/abs/1802.10119

Last edited:
Likes Spinnor and DrChinese