Berkeley Protesters Built a Human Wall

In summary, this week at UC Berkeley, protesters segregated the campus even further by allowing students of color to pass without any interference but forcing white students to find alternative routes. Some students who tried to push through were met with violence and chants of "Go around!" from the protesters. The actions have been described as regressive and not in line with progressivism, as they go against the idea of inclusivity and equality. However, some argue that this behavior is a result of the constant narrative of victimhood and racism being taught in humanities courses, leading to a desire for separation from white individuals.
aquitaine
On the heels of 4 major universities offering racially segregated living areas, at the request of some students, some people decided that didn't go far enough. This[/PLAIN] week at UC Berkley protesters decided to segregate the campus even more.

In the video, the activists appeared to let several students of color pass unmolested, but white students were forced to find other routes. A few who tried to force their way through were violently rebuffed. Protesters shouted "Go around! Go around!" at a white man on a bicycle.

Another student was told, "This is bigger than you," by a protester. "This is about whiteness."

Welcome back Jim Crow, we didn't miss you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes mheslep and S.G. Janssens
Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you for the link.

I don't think this behaviour has much to do with progressivism. I would just call it "stupid".

Likes HossamCFD
Krylov said:
Thank you for the link.

I don't think this behaviour has much to do with progressivism. I would just call it "stupid".

I would call it stupid too, but the voices actually advocating for this in the mainstream are all from the left. Every one of the manifestos I read from those 2015 campus protests all called for racially segregated "safe spaces", and at their protests were chanting a quote from the Communist Manifesto ("we have nothing to lose but our chains"), I would say it very much does have a lot to do with progressivism. It's the inevitable consequence of Social Justice, in the humanities courses they are being told everyone around them is a racist, they are told they are victims of some evil conspiracy against their race, so is it really a surprise that eventually many would want to separate themselves from these evil white people?

That is a pretty broad brush.

Windadct said:
That is a pretty broad brush.

Krylov said:
just call it "stupid".

Let's be clear this is in a news event forum. We should stick to discussion about the event itself.

1. What was the purpose of the human wall built by the Berkeley protesters?

The human wall was built as a form of non-violent protest against the presence of conservative speaker Milo Yiannopoulos on the UC Berkeley campus. The protesters aimed to physically block attendees from entering the event and expressing their disagreement with Yiannopoulos' controversial views.

2. Did the human wall result in any arrests?

Yes, the human wall led to a few arrests as some protesters refused to disperse and some attendees attempted to push through the wall. However, overall the protest remained peaceful and there were no major incidents.

3. How many people participated in building the human wall?

It is estimated that around 100-150 people participated in building the human wall. They linked arms and stood in front of the entrance to the event, creating a physical barrier.

4. Did the human wall succeed in its goal of disrupting the event?

Yes, the human wall was successful in disrupting the event. It caused a delay in the start of the event and prevented some attendees from entering. However, some attendees were still able to enter through side entrances or by pushing through the wall.

5. Were there any consequences for the protesters involved in building the human wall?

As mentioned before, there were a few arrests made, but there were no major consequences for the protesters involved in building the human wall. The university and law enforcement officials did not take any further action against the protesters.