Bernoulli Differential Equation?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with an equation involving dy/dx and u. The speaker is stuck on a step where they are dividing u-4 and the right hand side still has u-8 remaining, which is not allowed. They are seeking help in understanding their mistake.
jofree87
I keep getting stuck on one part of the equation. can somebody help?

dy/dx = y(xy3 - 1)

dy/dx = xy4 - y

dy/dx + y = xy4

u = y1-n = y-3

y = u-3

dy/dx = dy/du * du/dx

dy/dx = -3u-4 du/dx

Substituting terms into the original equation

-3u-4 du/dx + u-3 = x(u-3)4

Here is where I get stuck. When I divide u-4 to clean up the equation, the right hand side still has u-8 remaining. I will not be able to go on since the right hand side can only have x terms. What am I doing wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi jofree87! :smile:
jofree87 said:
u = y1-n = y-3

y = u-3

erm :redface: … noooo! :wink:

Related to Bernoulli Differential Equation?

1. What is the Bernoulli Differential Equation?

The Bernoulli Differential Equation is a type of first-order ordinary differential equation that can be written in the form dy/dx + P(x)y = Q(x)yn, where n is a constant. It is named after the Swiss mathematician Daniel Bernoulli, who first studied this type of equation in the 18th century.

2. What are the applications of the Bernoulli Differential Equation?

The Bernoulli Differential Equation has many applications in physics, engineering, and economics. It is commonly used to model growth and decay processes, such as population growth, radioactive decay, and chemical reactions. It is also used in fluid mechanics, particularly in the study of laminar flow.

3. How do you solve the Bernoulli Differential Equation?

The Bernoulli Differential Equation can be solved using a variety of methods, such as separation of variables, substitution, and linearization. The most common method is to use the substitution u = y1-n, which transforms the equation into a linear form that can be solved using standard techniques.

4. What is the difference between the Bernoulli Differential Equation and the Linear Differential Equation?

The main difference between the Bernoulli Differential Equation and the Linear Differential Equation is that the former involves a non-linear term in y, while the latter does not. This makes the Bernoulli equation more difficult to solve, as it requires special techniques such as substitution and linearization.

5. Can the Bernoulli Differential Equation be solved analytically?

Yes, the Bernoulli Differential Equation can be solved analytically using the methods mentioned above. However, in some cases, it may be easier to solve numerically using computer software or approximations. Regardless of the method used, the solutions to the Bernoulli equation will depend on the specific values of P(x) and Q(x) in the equation.