Bernoulli equation with losses dilemma

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving the Bernoulli equation and fanning friction factor. The student is seeking clarification on the correct approach to solving the problem. It is determined that there are three errors in the student's attempt at a solution, including incorrect values for Ki and L. The expert explains the correct values and reasoning behind them, including the need to consider the entire length of tubing for the frictional pressure drop calculation. The conversation ends with the student understanding the correct approach.
williamcarter

Homework Statement

Hello,Could you please lend me a hand with this problem?I would really appreciate it.
Question:[/B]
Capture.JPG

Their Answer:
Capture2.JPG

KL=2*0.75(2 elbows) D=5*10^-2 m ;f=0.001(fanning friction factor)
Assumptions I made:
Point 1 which is at the top of the liquid in the tank:
h1=23 m; u1=0m/s(neglected due to Area differences) P1=0 gauge(atmos press)

Point 2 which is at the mouthpiece of fountain:
h2=0m(datum); u2=? P2=0 gauge(atmos press)

Homework Equations

We know bernoulli for losses with fanning friction factor
P1/ro*g+h1+u1^2/2*g=P2/ro*g+h2+u2^2/2*g +delta hloss

where delta hloss=K*u^2/2g
where K=f*4*L/D+Ki
where Ki=sum of K in our case 2*0.75(2 elbows)
where f is fanning friction factor.

The Attempt at a Solution

P1/ro*g+h1+u1^2/2*g=P2/ro*g+h2+u2^2/2*g +delta hloss
As we made the assumption in first step.This can be rewritten as:
h1=delta h loss
=>h1=K*u^2/2*g
h1=(f*4*L/D+Ki)*u^2/2g
=>u=sqrt(h1*2g)/(f*4*L/D+Ki)
and substituting values in this formula gives u=10.05 m/s
However their answer is 9.0 m/s

I do not understand
1) why they did Ki=0.5+2*0.75, from where comes that "0.5"?
2)From where comes that "1+" in their sqrt formula
2)Why they picked L=20+10+2

Thank you in advance , much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
In my judgment, all three items that you cited are errors that they made.

Likes williamcarter
Chestermiller said:
In my judgment, all three items that you cited are errors that they made.
Thank you very much for your quick response.
I would be more than glad if you could let me know how was the correct approach.

The 0.5 should be a 1, and the 1 shouldn't be there. I was wrong about the L. The total length of tubing is 20 + 10 (horizontal) + 2 (vertical).

Likes williamcarter
Chestermiller said:
The 0.5 should be a 1, and the 1 shouldn't be there. I was wrong about the L. The total length of tubing is 20 + 10 (horizontal) + 2 (vertical).

Thank you, could you please tell me why we need to add 20+10+2.
Why is it needed to add 20+10+2? And why we can't take in consideration just the height?
Why is it needed to do like that?
I mean why we cannot put just the height ,20 m?or 25m?

Last edited:
williamcarter said:
Thank you, could you please tell me why we need to add 20+10+2.
Why is it needed to add 20+10+2? And why we can't take in consideration just the height?
Why is it needed to do like that?
I mean why we cannot put just the height ,20 m?or 25m?
The total length of tubing is 32 meters. This is the length that experiences a frictional pressure drop.

Likes williamcarter
Chestermiller said:
The total length of tubing is 32 meters. This is the length that experiences a frictional pressure drop.
Ok I understood this, thank you.But how do you know that?

williamcarter said:
Ok I understood this, thank you.But how do you know that?
Waddya mean? How long is the tubing?

Likes williamcarter
Chestermiller said:
Waddya mean? How long is the tubing?

How do you know that?How did you identified that?What was the criteria to get to that value?What was the mechanism behind it?

williamcarter said:
How do you know that?How did you identified that?What was the criteria to get to that value?What was the mechanism behind it?
If fluid flows in one end of a pipe and comes out the other end, doesn't it have to travel through the entire length of pipe to get from one end to the other? Isn't there viscous wall friction over the entire length?

Likes williamcarter
Chestermiller said:
If fluid flows in one end of a pipe and comes out the other end, doesn't it have to travel through the entire length of pipe to get from one end to the other? Isn't there viscous wall friction over the entire length?
Yes,it is, thank you, now is clear, much appreciated.

1. What is the Bernoulli equation with losses dilemma?

The Bernoulli equation with losses dilemma is a problem that arises when trying to apply the Bernoulli equation to a fluid flow system that involves energy losses due to factors such as friction, turbulence, or heat transfer. The equation assumes that there are no energy losses, so it cannot accurately predict the behavior of the system.

2. How does the Bernoulli equation with losses dilemma affect fluid flow calculations?

The Bernoulli equation with losses dilemma can significantly impact the accuracy of fluid flow calculations. When energy losses are present, the Bernoulli equation cannot accurately predict the pressure, velocity, or flow rate of the fluid. This can lead to errors in engineering designs and calculations.

3. What are some common examples of the Bernoulli equation with losses dilemma?

Some common examples of the Bernoulli equation with losses dilemma include flow through pipes, flow over a surface, and flow through a nozzle or diffuser. In all of these cases, there are energy losses due to friction, turbulence, or other factors, which make it challenging to accurately apply the Bernoulli equation.

4. How do engineers and scientists address the Bernoulli equation with losses dilemma?

To address the Bernoulli equation with losses dilemma, engineers and scientists often use modified versions of the equation that take into account the energy losses. These modifications may include adding correction factors or using other equations, such as the Darcy-Weisbach equation. Additionally, experimental data and simulations can be used to validate the accuracy of the calculations.

5. How can the Bernoulli equation with losses dilemma be avoided in fluid flow systems?

The Bernoulli equation with losses dilemma cannot be completely avoided in fluid flow systems. However, it can be minimized by reducing the energy losses in the system. This can be achieved by using smoother pipes, reducing surface roughness, and optimizing the design of the system to minimize turbulence. Additionally, using more accurate equations and experimental data can help to mitigate the effects of the dilemma.