Bernoulli vs conservation of momentum (Reynolds transport theorem form)

In summary, conservation of momentum and Bernoulli's equation give different answers for the terminal velocity of an inviscid fluid.
Urmi Roy
So I've found several instances in which Bernoulli and Conservation of momentum (in Reynolds transport theorem form) give different answers for the study of an inviscid fluid.

Let's consider a simple situation as described in my diagram attached.
Basically a tap/faucet is releasing fluid, which is known to be inviscid. We want to find the velocity at the bottom just before it hits the ground.

My solution does it out with both Bernoulli and conservation of momentum, but the factor of 2 that comes from the kinetic energy in Bernoulli doesn't appear in the final expression from
IMG_0924.JPG
conservation of momentum.

This is only a simple example and I've come across this discrepancy about the '2' several times. I'm not sure what is going on here and any help would be much appreciated!

Engineering news on Phys.org
The area is not constant and the flow becomes narrower as it falls as an effect of the flow speeding up. Your second expression also has the wrong sign.

Sorry about the sign problem, that's just careless of me. So apart from that, conservation of momentum doesn't give the right answer because it can't account for the area change? Does that mean that if there is an inviscid flow, it's just safer to use Bernoulli?
As before, my question is that what causes the difference between these two approaches?

Urmi Roy said:
So apart from that, conservation of momentum doesn't give the right answer because it can't account for the area change? Does that mean that if there is an inviscid flow, it's just safer to use Bernoulli?
There is nothing wrong with using momentum conservation, but you have to supplement is with additional equations describing how the fluid evolves, e.g., conservation of mass. If you do it correctly, the area as a function of the height will drop out of the equations. The only thing that went wrong was that you assumed constant area (which is an assumption that broke mass conservation).

In fact, you can derive the Bernoulli equation from momentum conservation and some additional requirements.

Oh okay, I get your point. Thanks! Just to confirm with you, I had another problem where an elevator is falling through air and the Reynolds number is found to be much larger than 1,so that the flow is approximately inviscid. Again, Bernoulli and Conservation of momentum give different answers for the terminal velocity. I'm thinking this is because at the bottom surface of the elevator there is a pressure distribution while conservation of momentum assumes an average pressure all along the surface. I can show you my working for this if you prefer.
But from your response I get that if for an inviscid flow the two approaches don't give the same answer, there's probably a mistake somewhere- they should always be equivalent.
Thanks!

Urmi Roy said:
I'm thinking this is because at the bottom surface of the elevator there is a pressure distribution while conservation of momentum assumes an average pressure all along the surface.
This is again an assumption that you might make in momentum conservation, but your assumption may or may not be justified. The momentum conservation in itself is not violated.

Thanks for all your help, Orodruin!

Related to Bernoulli vs conservation of momentum (Reynolds transport theorem form)

1. What is the difference between Bernoulli's principle and the conservation of momentum?

Bernoulli's principle states that the total pressure exerted by a fluid in motion is constant along a streamline. This means that as the fluid's speed increases, the pressure decreases and vice versa. On the other hand, the conservation of momentum states that the total momentum of a system is constant, meaning that the total force acting on the system must be balanced. While Bernoulli's principle focuses on pressure and speed, the conservation of momentum focuses on the total momentum of a system.

2. How do Bernoulli's principle and the conservation of momentum relate to each other?

Both Bernoulli's principle and the conservation of momentum are fundamental principles in fluid mechanics. Bernoulli's principle can be derived from the conservation of energy and the conservation of momentum can be derived from the conservation of mass and the conservation of energy. This means that these two principles are interconnected and can be used to understand and analyze fluid flow in different scenarios.

3. What is the Reynolds transport theorem and how does it relate to Bernoulli's principle and the conservation of momentum?

The Reynolds transport theorem is a mathematical tool used to analyze fluid flow in both steady and unsteady systems. It relates to Bernoulli's principle and the conservation of momentum by providing a way to calculate the changes in properties, such as pressure and velocity, at different points in a fluid flow. It takes into account the change in the properties due to both advection (movement of the fluid) and diffusion (transport of properties within the fluid), allowing for a more comprehensive analysis of fluid flow.

4. Can Bernoulli's principle and the conservation of momentum be applied to all types of fluids?

Yes, both Bernoulli's principle and the conservation of momentum can be applied to all types of fluids, including liquids and gases. However, they are based on certain assumptions, such as the fluid being incompressible and the flow being steady and inviscid. These assumptions may not hold true for all types of fluids, so the principles may need to be modified or other factors may need to be considered for accurate analysis.

5. What are some practical applications of Bernoulli's principle and the conservation of momentum?

Bernoulli's principle is commonly used in aerodynamics to design airplane wings and in hydrodynamics to understand fluid flow in pipes and channels. The conservation of momentum is used in various engineering applications, such as designing pumps and turbines, and in analyzing fluid flow in industrial processes. Both principles are also important in understanding weather patterns and ocean currents.