Bernoulli's equation does not always work?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of mass conservation and Bernoulli's equation to relate the depths of inflow and outflow in a hydraulic jump problem. However, it is concluded that Bernoulli's equation is not suitable for this scenario due to the dissipation of energy in hydraulic jumps. This is because the flow becomes turbulent and the average velocity does not accurately reflect the local velocity of the fluid.
theBEAST

Homework Statement

OCqu3zF.png

The Attempt at a Solution

Alright so first I found a relationship between z1 (depth of inflow) and z2 (depth of outflow) using mass conservation. I found that 5 * z1 = z2 and I know this is correct because the answer key has the same relationship.

Next I decided to use bernoulli's equation to find another equation to relate z1 and z2. So using the streamline on the free surface:

P1 + 0.5 * rho * V1^2 + rho * g * z1 = P2 + 0.5 * rho * V2^2 + rho * g * z2

Since the streamline is on the free surface, P1 = P2 = Patm, so they pressures will cancel out and I am left with:

0.5 * rho * V1^2 + rho * g * z1 = 0.5 * rho * V2^2 + rho * g * z2

Plugging the numbers in, cancelling the rhos and substituting z2 = 5 * z1:

0.5 * (5)^2 + (9.81) * z1 = 0.5 * (1)^2 + 9.81 * (5 * z1)

Solving this yields z1 = 0.3058m...

HOWEVER this is not the same answer as the one given in the solution manual... The solution manual uses conservation of momentum. Why is it that bernoulli's does not work in this case?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hydraulic jumps dissipate energy. Bernoulli's equation is about conservation of energy. The two are not compatible.

voko said:
Hydraulic jumps dissipate energy. Bernoulli's equation is about conservation of energy. The two are not compatible.

Why and how does it dissipate energy?

The laminar flow is turned into turbulent; the velocity of 1 m/s is the average velocity of the flow, not the real (local) velocity anywhere of the fluid, which is much greater.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydraulic_jump

I would respond by saying that Bernoulli's equation is a simplified version of the more general conservation of energy equation. While it may work in certain cases, it is not always applicable and should not be relied upon as the sole method for solving fluid mechanics problems. In this particular case, conservation of momentum is a more accurate approach and should be used instead. It is important to understand the limitations and assumptions of any equation or model in order to accurately apply them in real-world situations.

Related to Bernoulli's equation does not always work?

What is Bernoulli's equation?

Bernoulli's equation is a fundamental equation in fluid mechanics that describes the relationship between fluid pressure, velocity, and elevation within a fluid flow.

Why does Bernoulli's equation not always work?

Bernoulli's equation assumes certain conditions, such as the fluid being incompressible and the flow being steady and inviscid. In real-world situations, these assumptions may not hold true, leading to errors in using the equation.

What are some common reasons for Bernoulli's equation to fail?

Some common reasons for Bernoulli's equation to fail include compressibility effects, non-steady or turbulent flow, and the presence of viscous forces. These factors can significantly alter the fluid dynamics and make the equation inaccurate.

Can Bernoulli's equation be modified to account for these failures?

Yes, there are modified versions of Bernoulli's equation that can account for compressibility effects, viscosity, and other factors. However, these equations may be more complex and require additional assumptions or experimental data.

Is there an alternative to using Bernoulli's equation?

Yes, there are various other equations and methods for analyzing fluid flow, such as the Navier-Stokes equations, which take into account the effects of viscosity and compressibility. These may be more accurate in certain situations where Bernoulli's equation fails.