How to calculate head loss in a pipe with sudden diameter expansion?

In summary: The SolutionThe equation for head loss would be:(105x10^3)/ (1000x9.81) + (7.28^2) / (2x9.81) +z1 = P2 / (1000x9.81) + (1.82^2) / (2x9.81)
foo9008

Homework Statement

estimate the energy head lost along a short length of pipe suddenly enlarging a diameter of 350mm to 700mm which discharges 0.7(m^-3) of water per second .
the solution given is Q1= Q2 = 0.7(m^3)/s
0.7 = pi ((350x10^-3)^2 ) V1 / 4 , V1= 7.28m/s
0.7 = pi ((700x10^-3)^2 ) V2 / 4 , v2 = 1.82m/s
[(v1)^2 ] / 2g = [(v2)^2 ] / 2g +head loss
head loss = 2.53m

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

the bernoulli's equation is P1/ ρg + (V1^2) /2g + z1 = P2/ ρg + (V2^2) /2g + z2, by writing [(v1)^2 ] / 2g = [(v2)^2 ] / 2g +head loss , the author assume P1 = P2 , how could it be possible ? since the inlet is smaller than outlet , the pressure at inlet should be lower , right ? the velocity at inlet is smaller

Physics news on Phys.org
The head loss is ##\frac{(P_1-P_2)}{\rho g}##

Chestermiller said:
but i don't have P1 and P2... how to solve this ?

foo9008 said:
but i don't have P1 and P2... how to solve this ?
You're solving algebraically for the entire quantity ##\frac{(P_1-P_2)}{\rho g}## (which is the head loss), without having to know either P1 or P2 individually. You are aware that the pipe is assumed to be horizontal so that z1 = z2, correct? And you are aware of the definition of head, correct?

Likes foo9008
Chestermiller said:
You're solving algebraically for the entire quantity ##\frac{(P_1-P_2)}{\rho g}## (which is the head loss), without having to know either P1 or P2 individually. You are aware that the pipe is assumed to be horizontal so that z1 = z2, correct? And you are aware of the definition of head, correct?
yes , [(v1)^2 ] / 2g = [(v2)^2 ] / 2g +head loss is it correct ??

foo9008 said:
yes , [(v1)^2 ] / 2g = [(v2)^2 ] / 2g +head loss is it correct ??
No. There should be a minus sign in front of head loss.

Chestermiller said:
No. There should be a minus sign in front of head loss.
the energy flow from point 1 to 2 , so we should add the head loss at point 2 , right ?

The head loss is defined as the decrease in head from the upstream point to the downstream point.

Likes foo9008
Chestermiller said:
The head loss is defined as the decrease in head from the upstream point to the downstream point.
ya , point 1 is upstream , point 2 is downstream , right ?

Chestermiller said:
why the head loss is ##\frac{(P_1-P_2)}{\rho g}##?
shouldn't it be P1/ ρg + (V1^2) /2g + z1 = P2/ ρg + (V2^2) /2g + z2 + head loss ? we cancel our z1 and z2 , since they are the same

foo9008 said:
why the head loss is ##\frac{(P_1-P_2)}{\rho g}##?
shouldn't it be P1/ ρg + (V1^2) /2g + z1 = P2/ ρg + (V2^2) /2g + z2 + head loss ? we cancel our z1 and z2 , since they are the same
What is your understanding of the term head, and what is your understanding of the term head loss?

Likes foo9008
Chestermiller said:
What is your understanding of the term head, and what is your understanding of the term head loss?
A portion of energy is lost to the resistance to flow...

foo9008 said:
A portion of energy is lost to the resistance to flow...
That is not the general definition of head loss and, in this problem, the resistance to flow is implicitly assumed to be zero. More generally, head loss is the decrease in ##P/(\rho g)+z## between inlet and outlet.

Chestermiller said:
That is not the general definition of head loss and, in this problem, the resistance to flow is implicitly assumed to be zero. More generally, head loss is the decrease in ##P/(\rho g)+z## between inlet and outlet.
can you help how to solve this question ?

Chestermiller said:
sorry , i missed out part of thge question . the full question given is
estimate the energy head lost along a short length of pipe suddenly enlarging a diameter of 350mm to 700mm which discharges 0.7(m^-3) of water per second .. If the pressure at entrance is 105N/ (m^2) . Find the pressure at exit

Chestermiller said:
so the equation should be (105x10^3)/ (1000x9.81) + (7.28^2) / (2x9.81) +z1 = P2 / (1000x9.81) + (1.82^2) / (2x9.81) + head loss , am i right ?
cancel off z1 and z2 , we still have unknown P2 , how to find the head loss?

foo9008 said:
so the equation should be (105x10^3)/ (1000x9.81) + (7.28^2) / (2x9.81) +z1 = P2 / (1000x9.81) + (1.82^2) / (2x9.81) + head loss , am i right ?
cancel off z1 and z2 , we still have unknown P2 , how to find the head loss?
No. It's not correct.

$$\frac{P_1}{\rho g}+z_1+\frac{(7.28)^2}{(2)(9.81)}=\frac{P_2}{\rho g}+z_2+\frac{(1.82)^2}{(2)(9.81)}$$
$$\frac{P_1}{\rho g}-\frac{P_2}{\rho g}=head\ loss=\frac{(1.82)^2}{(2)(9.81)}-\frac{(7.28)^2}{(2)(9.81)}=-2.53m$$So,
$$\frac{P_2}{\rho g}=\frac{P_1}{\rho g}+2.53m$$

Likes foo9008
Chestermiller said:
No. It's not correct.

$$\frac{P_1}{\rho g}+z_1+\frac{(7.28)^2}{(2)(9.81)}=\frac{P_2}{\rho g}+z_2+\frac{(1.82)^2}{(2)(9.81)}$$
$$\frac{P_1}{\rho g}-\frac{P_2}{\rho g}=head\ loss=\frac{(1.82)^2}{(2)(9.81)}-\frac{(7.28)^2}{(2)(9.81)}=-2.53m$$So,
pls refer to the link diagram 6.5 , the formula fo hf is :
CjUGeji.png

http://www.efm.leeds.ac.uk/CIVE/CIVE1400/Examples/eg6_ans.htm

Chestermiller said:
No. It's not correct.

upload_2016-4-15_12-31-7.png

Chestermiller said:
No. It's not correct.

View attachment 99132

Chestermiller said:
No. It's not correct.

is it because when we find the head loss , we pick 2 points which have the same velocity and same pressure... so we can have only P1 and P2 (2 unknowns) ?
in my calculation , $$\frac{P_1}{\rho g}+z_1+\frac{(7.28)^2}{(2)(9.81)}=\frac{P_2}{\rho g}+z_2+\frac{(1.82)^2}{(2)(9.81)}$$ , i have chose the wrong points , which have different pressure and different velocity , so i am having problems of finding the head loss?

foo9008 said:
is it because when we find the head loss , we pick 2 points which have the same velocity and same pressure... so we can have only P1 and P2 (2 unknowns) ?
No. We pick points at the inlet and outlet.
in my calculation , $$\frac{P_1}{\rho g}+z_1+\frac{(7.28)^2}{(2)(9.81)}=\frac{P_2}{\rho g}+z_2+\frac{(1.82)^2}{(2)(9.81)}$$ , i have chose the wrong points , which have different pressure and different velocity , so i am having problems of finding the head loss?
No. This equation is correct. To get the head loss, you don't have to know P1 and P2 individually. You just have to determine their difference. Do you know how to do the algebra to get their difference?

Likes foo9008
Chestermiller said:

No. This equation is correct. To get the head loss, you don't have to know P1 and P2 individually. You just have to determine their difference. Do you know how to do the algebra to get their difference?
as you said in the previous post , The head loss is ##\frac{(P_1-P_2)}{\rho g}## ? so ,
$$\frac{P_2}{\rho g}=\frac{P_1}{\rho g}+2.53m$$ ??

foo9008 said:
as you said in the previous post , The head loss is ##\frac{(P_1-P_2)}{\rho g}## ? so ,
$$\frac{P_2}{\rho g}=\frac{P_1}{\rho g}+2.53m$$ ??
Is there a question here?

Likes foo9008
Chestermiller said:

Chestermiller said:
No. It's not correct.

Chestermiller said:
Is there a question here?
that's the correct working for this question , right ? then , i think i understand already , thanks!

foo9008 said:
as you said in the previous post , The head loss is ##\frac{(P_1-P_2)}{\rho g}## ? so ,that's the correct working for this question , right ? then , i think i understand already , thanks!
Yes. I said that this is the correct working for the question previously. I think your issue is more with terminology than with the actual application of the methodology.

Likes foo9008
Chestermiller said:
Yes. I said that this is the correct working for the question previously. I think your issue is more with terminology than with the actual application of the methodology.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernoulli's_principle#Incompressible_flow_equation
head loss is also known as piezometric loss , which has formula of h = P / ρg + z ?
wHO4fWj.png

but , in my question , it said energy loss , shouldn't it look like this( involve (V^2) /2g ) ?
Xaz1qVO.png

foo9008 said:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernoulli's_principle#Incompressible_flow_equation
head loss is also known as piezometric loss , which has formula of h = P / ρg + z ?
wHO4fWj.png

but , in my question , it said energy loss , shouldn't it look like this( involve (V^2) /2g ) ?
Xaz1qVO.png
Since you never gave the full exact statement of your problem, I would have to be a clairvoyant to know what it was. Maybe you want to do that now? It might have helped quite a bit if you have given the exact statement from the outset.

Likes foo9008
SUf8eu4.png

here it is , it should be 105N/(m^2)

foo9008 said:
SUf8eu4.png

here it is , it should be 105N/(m^2)
Well, it's hard to know what they are referring to by "energy head lost." It isn't clear whether that is the same as "head lost." It also isn't clear whether the "given solution" is correct, because there is actually a head gain calculated , not a head loss.

Also, have you been learning about discharge coefficients and frictional head loss? If so, then the given solution is incorrect. There should be a frictional head loss included in the equation that is calculated from a discharge coefficient, based on the velocity at the 350 mm location (and and the diameter ratio at the sudden enlargement). So, have you been learning about discharge coefficients and, if so, what does your book give for the discharge coefficient for a sudden expansion to twice the diameter?

Chestermiller said:
Well, it's hard to know what they are referring to by "energy head lost." It isn't clear whether that is the same as "head lost." It also isn't clear whether the "given solution" is correct, because there is actually a head gain calculated , not a head loss.

Also, have you been learning about discharge coefficients and frictional head loss? If so, then the given solution is incorrect. There should be a frictional head loss included in the equation that is calculated from a discharge coefficient, based on the velocity at the 350 mm location (and and the diameter ratio at the sudden enlargement). So, have you been learning about discharge coefficients and, if so, what does your book give for the discharge coefficient for a sudden expansion to twice the diameter?
no , i haven't learn about discharge coefficient , but , according to the book , the loss due to expansion is given by [(V1 -V2)^2 /] 2g

Chestermiller said:

but , if the solution look like the previous post ( your working ) , teh question should be rephrased as estimate the head loss , but not estimate the total head loss/ total energy loss ?

foo9008 said:
but , if the solution look like the previous post ( your working ) , teh question should be rephrased as estimate the head loss , but not estimate the total head loss/ total energy loss ?
For calculating the frictional head loss at a sudden expansion, see Table 7.5-1 of Transport Phenomena by Bird, Stewart, and Lightfoot.

1. How does sudden diameter expansion affect head loss in a pipe?

Sudden diameter expansion in a pipe can increase head loss due to the sudden change in velocity and pressure. This can result in turbulence and eddies, causing the fluid to lose energy and increase the head loss.

2. What is the formula for calculating head loss in a pipe with sudden diameter expansion?

The formula for calculating head loss in a pipe with sudden diameter expansion is Δh = K * (V^2/2g), where Δh is the head loss, K is the loss coefficient, V is the fluid velocity, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. How do you determine the loss coefficient for a sudden diameter expansion in a pipe?

The loss coefficient for a sudden diameter expansion can be determined by using experimental data or by using the equivalent length method. The equivalent length method involves converting the sudden diameter expansion into an equivalent length of straight pipe and using the loss coefficient for that length of pipe.

4. What factors can affect head loss in a pipe with sudden diameter expansion?

The factors that can affect head loss in a pipe with sudden diameter expansion include the size of the expansion, the velocity of the fluid, the viscosity of the fluid, the density of the fluid, and the roughness of the pipe walls.

5. Can head loss be reduced in a pipe with sudden diameter expansion?

Yes, head loss can be reduced in a pipe with sudden diameter expansion by using flow control devices such as reducers or diffusers, which can help to minimize turbulence and maintain a smooth flow. Additionally, using a larger diameter pipe can also reduce head loss as it allows for a more gradual expansion of the fluid.