Bessel decomposition for arbitrary function

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the orthogonality condition for the first-kind Bessel function to decompose an original function into a series of Bessel functions of the same order. It is mentioned that Bessel functions can also be expanded in terms of Bessel functions of different orders, although it may not always be useful to do so. The conversation also involves a discussion on how to choose the appropriate basis functions for an expansion and how to solve a system of linear equations using Bessel functions.
tony_yang
Orthogonality condition for the 1st-kind Bessel function J_m
$$\int_0^R J_m(\alpha_{mp})J_m(\alpha_{mq})rdr=\delta_{pq}\frac{R^2}{2}J_{m \pm 1}^2(\alpha_{mn}),$$
where α_{mn} is the n^{th} positive root of J_m(r), suggests that an original function f(r) could be decomposed into a series of 1-st kind Bessel functions of order m:
$$f(r)=\sum_n a_n\cdot J_m(\alpha_{m,n}*r/R),$$ with $$a_n=\frac{2}{R^2J_{m \pm 1}^2(\alpha_{mn})}\int_0^R J_m(\alpha_{mn}*r/R) f(r) r dr$$. However what if the original function is something like:
$$f(r)=\sum_n a_n\cdot J_m(\alpha_{m,n}*r/R)+b_n\cdot J_{m+1}(\alpha_{m+1,n}*r/R),$$
which combines Bessel functions of different orders. The final question is can any function be decomposed into Bessel functions someshow, like FFT/IFFT(fast Fourier transform / inverse fast Fourier transform)?

Physics news on Phys.org
A priori, you could expand any Bessel function ##J_n(\alpha_{nk'}r/R)## in terms of the Bessel functions ##J_m(\alpha_{mk}r/R)## for any fixed ##n## and ##m##. It is just a matter of using a different basis for your function space.

Thanks for reply. I did NOT know Bessel function of order n can be expanded into Bessel functions of order m. Could you please give me an identity?

Last edited:
While it can be done, it is not clear why you would want to do this. In general, Bessel function expansions will arise naturally as Bessel functions of different orders are eigenfunctions of different Sturm-Liouville operators. It is therefore usually quite clear what Bessel functions you should use for your expansion.

In my case, I do not know which order of Bessel functions should be used as the basis functions.

In many other cases, the original profile ##f(r)## contains Bessel functions of different orders. I am wondering how can I decompose it with ##J_m(r)## with fixed ##m =1##?

Perhaps it would be a good idea to state the type of problem you are looking to solve. I think it would help us understand what you need better.

What I am doing now is simple. I have a random series ##f(r)##, with boundary condition ##f(0)=0## and ##f(1)=0##. I want to approximate it using ##J_1(\alpha_{1n}r)##, which satisfies the B.Cs.

I had a plan to solve a system of ##nr## linear equations numerically, where ##nr## is the number of grid points along ##r## direction, as follows:
$$\sum_{i=1}^{nr} a_i J_1(\alpha_{1,i}\cdot r_i)=f(r_i),$$ for ##i=1,2,3...,nr##
Not sure if it is what you are going to suggest?

Not sure how do it analytically using orthogonality and other identities of Bessel functions.

1. What is Bessel decomposition for arbitrary function?

Bessel decomposition is a mathematical technique used to represent an arbitrary function as a sum of Bessel functions. This allows for a more compact and efficient representation of the function.

2. How is Bessel decomposition different from Fourier decomposition?

Bessel decomposition is similar to Fourier decomposition in that it represents a function as a sum of simpler functions. However, unlike Fourier decomposition, Bessel decomposition uses Bessel functions instead of trigonometric functions.

3. What are the applications of Bessel decomposition?

Bessel decomposition has various applications in physics, engineering, and signal processing. It is commonly used in solving differential equations, analyzing vibrations and waves, and modeling physical systems.

4. How is Bessel decomposition performed?

To perform Bessel decomposition, the function is first expressed as a series of Bessel functions using a specific formula. The coefficients of the series are then determined by solving a system of equations. The final result is a representation of the function as a sum of Bessel functions.

5. What are the limitations of Bessel decomposition?

Bessel decomposition may not always be applicable to all functions. It is most commonly used for functions that have cylindrical symmetry. Additionally, the convergence of the series may be slow for certain types of functions, leading to a less accurate representation.