Integration of Bessel's functions

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a solution to a specific integral involving Bessel functions. The closed form solution is not available, but the use of Lommel's integrals seems promising. The person suggests trying different integral representations and using recurrence relations to simplify the problem. Eventually, the use of Lommel's integrals proves to be successful in solving the problem.
tworitdash
TL;DR Summary
For implementing a mode-matching technique in EM simulation, I want to get a closed-form equation of the integral of [tex]\int_{0}^{r}\frac{1}{\rho} J_m(a\rho) J_n(b\rho) d\rho [/tex].
I can only find a solution to [tex] \int_{0}^{r} \rho J_m(a\rho) J_n(b\rho) d\rho [/tex] with the Lommel's integral . The closed form solution to [tex] \int_{0}^{r}\frac{1}{\rho} J_m(a\rho) J_n(b\rho) d\rho [/tex] I am not able to find anywhere. Is there any way in which I can approach this problem from scratch? Here, [tex] J_m [/tex] is the Bessel function of the first kind of order m.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It looks to me like you could use a recurrence relation (see this link) once or twice and arrive at a sum of integrals in the form you know.

Likes tworitdash
Haborix said:
It looks to me like you could use a recurrence relation (see this link) once or twice and arrive at a sum of integrals in the form you know.
Perfect. Thanks! I decomposed my problem and I got the form of Lommel's integrals for all my problems. I verified with numerical solutions for my EM problems and the Lommel's integrals work like magic.

Likes vanhees71 and Haborix
Good to hear! Special functions, when they are useful, always seemed like magic (rigorous magic) to me.

Likes tworitdash

1. What are Bessel's functions?

Bessel's functions are a family of special functions that are solutions to certain types of differential equations. They are named after the mathematician Friedrich Bessel and are widely used in mathematical physics and engineering.

2. What is the significance of integrating Bessel's functions?

Integrating Bessel's functions is important in solving various mathematical and physical problems, such as finding the solutions to differential equations in physics and engineering applications. It also allows for the evaluation of complex integrals and the determination of important parameters in mathematical models.

3. How do you integrate Bessel's functions?

Integrating Bessel's functions involves using various techniques, such as substitution, integration by parts, and series expansions. The specific method used depends on the type of Bessel function and the form of the integral.

4. What are some common applications of integrating Bessel's functions?

Bessel's functions are widely used in various fields, including electromagnetics, signal processing, fluid dynamics, and quantum mechanics. They are particularly useful in problems involving circular or cylindrical symmetry and can describe phenomena such as diffraction, heat conduction, and oscillations.

5. Are there any special properties or identities related to integrating Bessel's functions?

Yes, there are several special properties and identities related to integrating Bessel's functions, such as the orthogonality and recurrence relations, which can simplify the integration process and provide useful insights into the behavior of Bessel functions. These properties also have applications in solving boundary value problems and evaluating complex integrals.