Best cities for mechanical engineering

In summary, as a mechanical engineering student interested in the automotive and aerospace sectors, it is recommended to consider states such as Michigan, Ohio, Kentucky, Texas, and Indiana for automotive engineering opportunities. For aerospace engineering, states like Washington, Texas, Florida, and Virginia may offer good opportunities, particularly with companies like Boeing.
Connor
I'm a 21 year old college student studying mechanical engineering. I currently live in South Carolina and I'm looking at other states to move to after graduation. I was wondering what are some good states/cities to go to for mechanical engineering?

Physics news on Phys.org
Connor said:
I'm a 21 year old college student studying mechanical engineering. I currently live in South Carolina and I'm looking at other states to move to after graduation. I was wondering what are some good states/cities to go to for mechanical engineering?
It depends on the particular field you are interested in. The areas surrounding Philadelphia are somewhat of a mecca for pharmaceuticals and I work as an HVAC engineer supporting the pharma industry. But it isn't hot for energy, automotiv,e shipping, aerospace, etc.

I meant to put that earlier. The sectors I want to work in are automotive and aerospace. I also want to work as a quant someday as well if I can.

Connor said:
I meant to put that earlier. The sectors I want to work in are automotive and aerospace. I also want to work as a quant someday as well if I can.

When it comes to the automotive sector, I know that the Big Three have most of their assembly plants in Michigan (with Ford having some plants in Missouri, Fiat Chrysler a plant in Ohio, and GM with plants in Texas, Kentucky, Kansas, Indiana, Tennessee, and Missouri).

Toyota has plants in Kentucky, Indiana, Texas, and Mississippi. Honda has plants in Ohio, Alabama, and Indiana. Other auto companies have plants in various other areas of the country.

As far as the aerospace industry is concerned, I know for a fact that Boeing is based in Washington State, and I would think that Texas, Florida, and Virginia (with military aircraft) would be among the better states for aerospace-type work.

Related to Best cities for mechanical engineering

1. What factors make a city a great place for mechanical engineers?

There are several factors that make a city a great place for mechanical engineers. These include a strong engineering industry, access to top engineering schools, a diverse range of job opportunities, and a high quality of life.

2. Which cities in the United States are considered the best for mechanical engineering?

Some of the top cities in the United States for mechanical engineering include San Francisco, Seattle, Houston, Chicago, and Boston. These cities have a strong engineering industry, top engineering schools, and a high demand for skilled engineers.

3. Are there any international cities that are known for their mechanical engineering opportunities?

Yes, there are several international cities that are known for their mechanical engineering opportunities. These include Tokyo, Munich, Zurich, and Singapore. These cities have a strong engineering presence and offer a high standard of living for engineers.

4. How do job prospects for mechanical engineers vary between different cities?

The job prospects for mechanical engineers can vary greatly between different cities. Factors such as the strength of the engineering industry, the cost of living, and the demand for engineers in a particular field can all impact job opportunities. It is important for engineers to research the job market in their desired city before making a decision.

5. What are some additional factors to consider when choosing a city for a career in mechanical engineering?

In addition to the engineering industry and job opportunities, there are other factors to consider when choosing a city for a career in mechanical engineering. These can include the cost of living, transportation options, cultural and recreational activities, and the overall quality of life. It's important to find a city that not only offers great job prospects, but also aligns with your personal interests and lifestyle.