Best college level text book for beginners of QM

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a college level textbook on Quantum Mechanics that explains supported theories and the formulas behind real world technological applications. The recommended textbook is Ballentine's "Quantum Mechanics - A Modern Development", which is seen as the best option due to its clear and logical development from two axioms. Other suggested texts include Hughes' "Structure And Interpretation of QM" and "Quantum Mechanics Demystified" before delving into Ballentine's book. The conversation also mentions other commonly used undergraduate textbooks such as Griffiths' "Introduction to QM", Shankar's "Principles of QM", and Sakurai's "Modern QM" which all offer different levels of difficulty and mathematical rigor. The
IamQ
I have read a lot of stuff on Quantum Mechanics and there seem to be a lot of outlandish theories on the web mixing QM with every religion in a search for god as the great observer. I would really love to get my hands on a good college level textbook that explains the more supported theories. Also I am very interested in understanding the formulas behind how we have leveraged our knowledge of QM in the real world of technology.

Again I am looking for something that will not bore me but also not overwhelm me with detail. And explanation of how we have leveraged our knowledge.

Physics news on Phys.org
The best is Ballentine - Quantum Mechanics - A Modern Development. It develops it clearly and logically from just 2 axioms - Schrodinger's equation etc is given its true basis - symmetry. I have read quite a few books on QM and this is by a long way the best.

But I wouldn't start with it though. I would ease into it with Hugh's - Structure And Interpretation of QM then Quantum Mechanics Demystified first. Don't worry if they leave you a bit unsatisfied - all will be clear in Ballentine.

Thanks
Bill

Likes 1 person
The most commonly used undergrad textbooks in my experience are Griffiths' "Introduction to QM", Shankar's "Principles of QM", and Sakurai's "Modern QM". All three are excellent and should be understandable for anyone with calculus/differential equations and intro physics, and they all present a real mathematical introduction to the formalism. Griffiths is the most easy and takes a physically intuitive approach. Shankar is mathematically more rigorous and thus tougher. Sakurai is comprehensive and so is probably hardest.

Last edited:
thanks

What exactly is your math/physics background?

1. What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at a microscopic level. It explains how particles such as atoms and subatomic particles behave and interact with each other.

2. How can quantum mechanics be applied in everyday life?

Quantum mechanics has many practical applications in modern technology, such as in the development of transistors, lasers, and computer chips. It also helps explain phenomena such as superconductivity and the behavior of light.

3. What is the best college level textbook for beginners of quantum mechanics?

The best textbook for beginners of quantum mechanics will vary depending on individual learning style and preferences. Some popular options include "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by David J. Griffiths and "Quantum Mechanics: The Theoretical Minimum" by Leonard Susskind and Art Friedman.

4. What are the key concepts that should be covered in a beginner's quantum mechanics textbook?

A beginner's quantum mechanics textbook should cover fundamental concepts such as wave-particle duality, superposition, and uncertainty principle. It should also introduce mathematical tools such as vector spaces, operators, and the Schrödinger equation.

5. Are there any online resources that can supplement a beginner's quantum mechanics textbook?

Yes, there are many online resources that can supplement a beginner's quantum mechanics textbook, such as lecture notes, video lectures, and interactive simulations. Some reputable sources include MIT OpenCourseWare, Khan Academy, and Quantum Country.