Best Physics Graduate Schools in Canada

In summary: I'm the physics undergrad society president, so I know a fair bit about the department... and the upcoming changes to it's structure).In summary, The University of British Columbia and the University of Manitoba are both strong options for graduate studies in Physics in Canada, with UBC having the advantage of the TRIUMF national physics lab on campus. Other recommended schools include the University of Alberta, the University of Western Ontario, and the University of Victoria, each with strengths in different areas of physics such as geophysics, medical physics, and astrophysics. It is important to research and consider the specific areas of study and faculty at each school in order to make an
The Academic Ranking of World Universities ARWU 2010 has just been released. the top Canadian universities according to the rank are:

1. U of T
2. U BC
3. McGill
4. McMaster
5. U of A
6. University of Montreal
7. University of Calgary
8. University of WaterlooIn physics, the top four are:

1. U of T
2. McGill
3. McMaster
4. U BC

http://www.arwu.org/

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks a lot, the information provided was very helpful, I'm actaully entering grade 11 and I'm just very curious, sorry if it sounded misleading.

Thanks, Kevin

I heard that University of Alberta in the one of upcomming school and its really good of "Oil Sand researches..."
is that true??
U o T has very young condensed matter research group and stilll they developing that.
I think other universities has the same situation except McGills.

HossamCFD said:
The Academic Ranking of World Universities ARWU 2010 has just been released. the top Canadian universities according to the rank are:

1. U of T
2. U BC
3. McGill
4. McMaster
5. U of A
6. University of Montreal
7. University of Calgary
8. University of Waterloo

http://www.arwu.org/

:biggrin: First time I ever get to see my university make it into the top 10 of anything.

For AMO physics, York University is widely regarded among the top universities in Canada. There is also a great condensed matter physics lab here.

Just thought I'd put a plug in for York.

um is UBC or UT better in astrophyiscs and cosmology??
i am really worried about my career! arrrghhhh

uskalu said:
I heard that University of Alberta in the one of upcomming school and its really good of "Oil Sand researches..."
is that true??

Yup, the Athabasca oil sands ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athabasca_oil_sands ) are in Alberta, and much industry support is given to the UofA in this area. This mainly applies to engineering.