Best software to fit molecular spectroscopy data

In summary, for fitting peaks in molecular spectroscopy data, the best software options are MATLAB and Python's scipy package with the curve_fit() function. It is recommended to fit one peak at a time for more accurate results, but the curve fitting toolbox in MATLAB can also provide more control over the fit.
kelly0303
Hello! I have some data from a molecular spectroscopy experiment, containing vibrational and rotational spectra, and I want to fit the peaks with Voigt profiles (one for each peak) in order to obtain the centers of the peaks. Do you know any software suitable for this kind of fit? I usually use Python (scipy, lmfit), but so far it didn't really work, as there are many peaks in one spectrum, so many parameters to fit for and I think that the fit gets stuck in a local minima, before reaching the actual parameters (but if you know a python package good enough for what I need, I am willing to try). Also, should I fit all the spectrum at once, or one peak at a time. If I do one peak at a time I get rid of the dimensionality problem, but the fit might not be as accurate as when I fit everything at once. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
The best software package for this kind of fitting problem is probably MATLAB, which has a couple of functions specifically designed for fitting spectra with Voigt profiles. You can also use the curve fitting toolbox in the software to get more control over the fit and adjust the parameters more precisely. It is probably a better idea to fit one peak at a time as it simplifies the problem and usually gives better results. However, if you are looking for a more general solution that can fit multiple peaks simultaneously, then Python's scipy package does have a function called curve_fit() that can be used to fit data to arbitrary functions with multiple parameters.

1. What is molecular spectroscopy data?

Molecular spectroscopy data is a type of scientific data that is collected through various techniques, such as infrared spectroscopy, UV-visible spectroscopy, and nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy. This data provides information about the molecular structure and chemical properties of a substance.

2. Why is it important to have the best software for fitting molecular spectroscopy data?

The best software for fitting molecular spectroscopy data allows for accurate and efficient analysis of the data, which is crucial for understanding the properties and behavior of molecules. This software can also help identify unknown substances and aid in the development of new materials and drugs.

3. What features should I look for in software for fitting molecular spectroscopy data?

Some important features to consider in software for fitting molecular spectroscopy data include user-friendly interface, compatibility with different types of spectroscopy techniques, advanced data analysis tools, and the ability to handle large datasets.

4. Are there any free software options for fitting molecular spectroscopy data?

Yes, there are some free software options available for fitting molecular spectroscopy data, such as MestReNova, JSpecView, and Igor Pro. However, these may have limited features compared to paid software.

5. How can I determine which software is the best for my specific needs?

To determine the best software for your needs, it is important to consider factors such as the type of spectroscopy data you will be working with, the level of data analysis required, and your budget. It is also helpful to read reviews and try out demo versions of different software before making a decision.