Best solid state physics textbook that can replace Kittel

In summary, The conversation discusses difficulties with understanding solid state physics material, specifically the book "introduction to solid state physics" by Kittel. The person recommends using Ashcroft/Mermin Solid state physics or Dover books by Walter Harrison as alternative resources. They also mention "The Oxford Solid State Basics" by Steven H. Simon as a fantastic book with accompanying video lectures and lecture notes available for free.
ahmed markhoos
Hello

I am having a really bad semester with solid state physics material, the book "introduction to solid state physics" by kittel is hard to follow and vague also it doesn't provide good explanations, always brief and fast. More than that my prof. is really good but have problems in explaining things.

We use kittel from ch.1 to ch.7. Is there any good replacements to kittel that have the same content "not distributed along the book, so that I can really.replace it"?Thanks.

Likes garrekds
Physics news on Phys.org
Ashcroft/Mermin Solid state physics is much more in depth and precise.

Likes vanhees71
I think that if the OP is having problems with Kittel, Ashcroft/Mermin text might be an even bigger hurdle (especially the exercises).

I will recommend two Dover books by Walter Harrison. "Solid State Theory" and "Electronic Structure and Properties of Solids" were valuable resources to me when I started studying solid state physics. One of them (I forget which) has the best treatment of Boltzmann transport of any books that I've encountered.

Zz.

Funny, I had always problems with Harrison. But I have to add that Harrison is a very interesting book.

Last edited:
Likes garrekds

1. What makes a solid state physics textbook a good replacement for Kittel?

A good replacement for Kittel would be a textbook that covers all the essential topics in solid state physics, is well-organized, and provides clear explanations and examples. Additionally, it should have updated information and incorporate recent advancements in the field.

2. What are some key features to look for in a solid state physics textbook?

Some key features to look for in a solid state physics textbook include a thorough coverage of fundamental concepts, a balance between theory and application, and a variety of practice problems and exercises. It should also have a user-friendly layout and diagrams to aid in understanding the material.

3. Are there any specific textbooks that are commonly used as replacements for Kittel?

Yes, there are several textbooks that are commonly used as replacements for Kittel, including "Introduction to Solid State Physics" by Charles Kittel himself, "Solid State Physics" by Neil W. Ashcroft and N. David Mermin, and "Solid State Physics: An Introduction" by Philip Hofmann. It ultimately depends on the individual's preference and learning style.

4. How can I determine if a solid state physics textbook is suitable for my level of understanding?

You can determine the suitability of a solid state physics textbook by looking at the level of difficulty of the material, the prerequisites listed, and the reviews from other readers. It's also helpful to skim through the first few chapters to get a sense of the writing style and level of detail the textbook provides.

5. Are there any online resources or alternative learning materials that can replace a solid state physics textbook?

Yes, there are various online resources and alternative learning materials such as video lectures, interactive simulations, and online courses that can supplement or replace a solid state physics textbook. However, a textbook is still a valuable resource as it provides a comprehensive and structured approach to learning the subject.