Is Adrianus J. Dekker forgotten or irrelevant?

In summary, I am thinking of buying Solid State Physics by Kittel, but it turns out it's not beginner friendly and neither is Ashcroft & Mermin. One book that is supposedly beginner friendly is AJ Dekker (1956) but it has received little discussion on this physics forum and on reddit (as a whole). I wonder why that is? I also want to understand the basics of Solid State Physics and I want the information to be relevant and accurate. Is AJ Dekker what I should read? So, should I buy AJ Dekker and is there a different book on solid state physics which is not cryptic and can be easily understood by a beginner.I was previously thinking of buying Solid State Physics by Kittel
Slimy0233
I was previously thinking of buying Solid State Physics by Kittel, but it turns out it's not beginner friendly and neither is Ashcroft & Mermin. One book that is supposedly beginner friendly is AJ Dekker (1956) but it has received little discussion on this physics forum and on reddit (as a whole). I wonder why that is?

Also, I want to understand the basics of Solid State Physics and I want the information to be relevant and accurate. Is AJ Dekker what I should read? So, should I buy AJ Dekker and is there a different book on solid state physics which is not cryptic and can be easily understood by a beginner.

PS: I really want to buy Dekker, but the fact that the book has received no discussion on reddit and in here concerns me.

Physics news on Phys.org
What does beginner mean to you? What physics courses have you taken? I would regard Kittel as an introductory book for solid state and Ashcroft as a more advanced book. I'm not sure I would expect a decent textbook to be easily understood. Any textbook will have you grappling with ideas and calculations you haven't been exposed to before. Never heard of Dekker, so can't help there, sorry.

One book has never been enough for me.
There are cheap $20 to $40, new or second hand copies of both available.

Dekker is clearly old school and cheap, second hand or reprinted 2008.
https://www.bookfinder.com/search/?...=KJ5gumaVsN1YGWahLPYIXfbx6gU_1685574818_1:1:2

Kittel, in the 2018 edition, is more up to date.
https://www.bookfinder.com/search/?...e=introduction%20to%20solid%20state%20physics

At those prices, I could buy both, and a third, but I have electronic copies and a University library nearby.

Haborix said:
I'm not sure I would expect a decent textbook to be easily understood. Any textbook will have you grappling with ideas and calculations you haven't been exposed to before.
Sir/Madam, I have one answer to that, Introduction to Electrodynamics by DJ Griffiths.

And as for textbook with unknown ideas and calculations, I am ok with that.

Meanwhile, since English is not my native language, I need it to be relatively simple to understand.

Baluncore said:
One book has never been enough for me.
There are cheap $20 to $40, new or second hand copies of both available.

Dekker is clearly old school and cheap, second hand or reprinted 2008.
https://www.bookfinder.com/search/?...=KJ5gumaVsN1YGWahLPYIXfbx6gU_1685574818_1:1:2

Kittel, in the 2018 edition, is more up to date.
https://www.bookfinder.com/search/?ac=sl&st=sl&ref=bf_s2_a1_t1_1&qi=s.Ga63WLa.2KmVGBFFxX,lbaoHs_1685575427_1:11:46&bq=author=charles%20kittel&title=introduction%20to%20solid%20state%20physics

At those prices, I could buy both, and a third, but I have electronic copies and a University library nearby.
Unfortunately as I am dealing with financial constraints, this has never been an option for me.

There is an online version of the Dekker book here
https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015002003716&view=1up&seq=1

The book you are considering was first written when I was a child. If it hasn't been updated for a while, it could easily be missing modern ideas.

I once had to teach a university course on Solid State Chemistry, a subject I had only ever done a single term course on 20 years earlier. The book that was suggested to me by another lecturer had several interesting things I had never been taught at all. ( A R West, Solid State Chemistry, an updated version / title change of which is available from amazon, while an copy from 1999 is quite cheap.)

Likes vanhees71

1. Is there any significant contribution or impact of Adrianus J. Dekker in the scientific community?

Yes, Adrianus J. Dekker was a renowned physicist and mathematician who made significant contributions in the field of quantum mechanics and statistical mechanics. He is best known for his work on the "Dekker algorithm" which is widely used in computer simulations of physical systems.

2. Why is Adrianus J. Dekker not as well-known as other scientists in his field?

Adrianus J. Dekker's work was primarily focused on theoretical research and he did not actively seek recognition or publicity for his contributions. He also worked in a time when scientific communication and media coverage were not as prevalent as they are today, thus limiting his visibility.

3. Has Adrianus J. Dekker's work been overlooked or overshadowed by other scientists?

There is no evidence to suggest that Adrianus J. Dekker's work has been deliberately overlooked or overshadowed by other scientists. However, due to the aforementioned factors, his contributions may not have received as much attention as they deserve.

4. Is Adrianus J. Dekker's work still relevant in modern science?

Yes, Adrianus J. Dekker's work is still relevant and continues to be cited in current research. His contributions to statistical mechanics and computer simulations have had a lasting impact and continue to be utilized in various fields of science and engineering.

5. What is being done to preserve and recognize Adrianus J. Dekker's legacy?

Several efforts have been made to preserve and recognize Adrianus J. Dekker's legacy. This includes publications and conferences dedicated to his work, as well as the establishment of the "Adrianus J. Dekker Award" by the International Association for Computer Methods and Advances in Geomechanics.