Best straightforward method to calculate the direction of the Lorentz force

In summary, the direction of the Lorentz force can be determined by using the cross product formula, where the direction may flip for negative charges. Alternatively, you can imagine the x, y, and z axes and use the thumb, index finger, and middle finger to represent the cross product. This method can be easily remembered by the finger order used in counting.
greg_rack
Gold Member
Hi guys, I'm being introduced to magnetism, and the direction of the Lorentz force is quite confusing since it's involving a vector product.
Which method would you recommend me in order to easily deduce the direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you write which formula you are having trouble with?

greg_rack said:
.. it's involving a vector product.
Which method would you recommend me in order to easily deduce the direction?

Right_hand_rule_cross_product.svg

From: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross_product#Definition

But note that for negative charges the direction flips, so you can use the left hand.

Likes vanhees71 and greg_rack
greg_rack said:
That's what I meant, thank you very much!
Alternatively, imagine the usual ##x-y## axes, with the x-axis pointing left to right across the page and the y-axis pointing up the page, then the z-axis is upwards from the page. And ##\vec x \times \vec y = \vec z##.

Last edited:
Likes Ibix, vanhees71 and greg_rack
greg_rack said:
That's what I meant, thank you very much!
Note that you can cycle the fingers used. I personally find this easier to remember:

thumb X index-finger = middle-finger

because it is the finger order I use in counting.

Likes vanhees71 and greg_rack

1. What is the Lorentz force?

The Lorentz force is a fundamental force in electromagnetism that describes the interaction between electric and magnetic fields on a charged particle. It is responsible for the motion of charged particles in a magnetic field and is an important concept in understanding the behavior of electrically charged objects.

2. How is the direction of the Lorentz force calculated?

The direction of the Lorentz force can be calculated using the right-hand rule. This rule states that if the index finger of the right hand points in the direction of the magnetic field and the middle finger points in the direction of the electric field, then the thumb will point in the direction of the Lorentz force.

3. What is the best straightforward method to calculate the direction of the Lorentz force?

The best straightforward method to calculate the direction of the Lorentz force is to use the right-hand rule. This method is widely used and is easy to apply in most situations.

4. Are there any other methods to calculate the direction of the Lorentz force?

Yes, there are other methods to calculate the direction of the Lorentz force, such as using vector calculus and the cross product of the electric and magnetic fields. However, these methods may be more complex and are not as commonly used as the right-hand rule.

5. How important is understanding the direction of the Lorentz force in scientific research?

Understanding the direction of the Lorentz force is crucial in many areas of scientific research, particularly in the fields of electromagnetism and particle physics. It is also essential in engineering applications, such as designing and operating electric motors and generators.