Best Suspension System for Bicycles | BE Student

In summary: Please be more clear in your post.A BE student should understand a specification like "drive a 5 kg load" is inadequate. Does it have to lift 5 kg in a month ? Then a toy motor is good enough.Please it is urgent. Thaks for helping.
Hareesh Venkatraan
Hello,
I need to know what is the best type of susension system for bicycles.And also rating of a motor to drive a 5 kg load.I am still studying B E .Please it is urgent. Thaks for helping.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Hello Hareesh, :welcome:

Best type of suspension for what bicycle ? Racer bikes have no suspension; mountain bikes have front and rear, my commuter bike has front only (and I don't like it).

A BE student should understand a specification like "drive a 5 kg load" is inadequate. Does it have to lift 5 kg in a month ? Then a toy motor is good enough.

Likes billy_joule
BvU said:
Hello Hareesh, :welcome:

Best type of suspension for what bicycle ? Racer bikes have no suspension; mountain bikes have front and rear, my commuter bike has front only (and I don't like it).

A BE student should understand a specification like "drive a 5 kg load" is inadequate. Does it have to lift 5 kg in a month ? Then a toy motor is good enough.
For running a flywheel.I am sorry it is a 15 kg flywheel.The suspension should withstand an overall of 90-100 kg.So can you prefer a cheap one, please?

I'm very weak at telepathy. What's this about ? Running a 15 kg flywheel with a "5 kg load" motor, designing suspension for a racing bike that carries 5kg load, a 15 kg flywheel plus a motor and perhaps also a car battery ?
:smile:

Hareesh your questions are not clear ,I think there are two things which need two answers

No its a 15 kg flywheel,not a 5 kg load.The cycle carries the flywheel, motor and the driver.

Hareesh Venkatraan said:
I need to know what is the best type of susension system for bicycles.And also rating of a motor to drive a 5 kg load.I am still studying B E .Please it is urgent. Thaks for helping.
Hareesh Venkatraan said:
For running a flywheel.I am sorry it is a 15 kg flywheel.The suspension should withstand an overall of 90-100 kg.So can you prefer a cheap one, please?
Why not just use standard mountain bike suspension components? They come in a wide range of prices...

http://www.davescheapbikes.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/cheap-dual-suspension-mountain-bikes.png
cheap-dual-suspension-mountain-bikes.png

Hareesh Venkatraan said:
Please it is urgent
Perhaps this is too late then. But you started a potentially interesting thread. Maybe next time it'll go better if you are a bit more complete in describing what you are after. My post #4 was intended to be slightly ironic -- sorry, I can't help it :rolleyes:.

But even after a week it isn't clear to me what kind of bike this is for, whether you need front and rear or only one of the two and, especially: why you would want a suspension at all. Comfort ? Performance ? Or because it was a requirement in the design assignment you were given ?

The PF homework fora all have a template starting with

Homework Statement

and a full statement would have been very helpful here !

Likes berkeman
Just about any size motor will turn a flywheel at a constant speed. What matters is how fast it must go and how fast it must reach that speed. You also need to know the moment of inertia and the operating voltage.

Hareesh Venkatraan said:
No its a 15 kg flywheel,not a 5 kg load.The cycle carries the flywheel, motor and the driver.
It would seem that the flywheel should be a special type if you are going to mount it on a bicycle. A 15kg flywheel on a light bicycle can do some scary things if you don't use a special type of flywheel. Can you comment on that @Hareesh Venkatraan?

Likes Rx7man
berkeman said:
It would seem that the flywheel should be a special type if you are going to mount it on a bicycle. A 15kg flywheel on a light bicycle can do some scary things if you don't use a special type of flywheel. Can you comment on that @Hareesh Venkatraan?
After design calculations I found the actual weight of the flywheel to be fitted as 7 kg.It is an aluminium flywheel.So I need a motor to rotate the flywheel and am thinking about powering the motor by solar energy.

Still unclear. As mentioned above, the faster you want to accelerate the flywheel then the more force and power you need. If the flywheel delivers any energy to the bicycle then that has to be known, and some recovery rate must be specified. If the bike is going to ride on city streets then no suspension is needed. If it's going to ride along railroad ties then a very compliant suspension is needed.

Try to fill in the unknowns and the community will try to help.

Likes Hareesh Venkatraan
Hareesh Venkatraan said:
After design calculations
What design calculations ? Do you understand it still isn't clear what it is you are trying to do ? You start with a question about suspension and end up with the outcome of a design calculation for a flywheel. Please be complete. Is there a problem statement ?

You tell us it's an aluminum flywheel. Why ? Because aluminum is lighter than iron :smile: ?

Likes Hareesh Venkatraan
Hareesh Venkatraan said:
After design calculations I found the actual weight of the flywheel to be fitted as 7 kg.It is an aluminium flywheel.So I need a motor to rotate the flywheel and am thinking about powering the motor by solar energy.
Did you understand my comment below? It's pretty important...
berkeman said:
It would seem that the flywheel should be a special type if you are going to mount it on a bicycle

berkeman said:
Did you understand my comment below? It's pretty important...
Can't understand what is "special". Please can you elaborate?

OldYat47 said:
Still unclear. As mentioned above, the faster you want to accelerate the flywheel then the more force and power you need. If the flywheel delivers any energy to the bicycle then that has to be known, and some recovery rate must be specified. If the bike is going to ride on city streets then no suspension is needed. If it's going to ride along railroad ties then a very compliant suspension is needed.

Try to fill in the unknowns and the community will try to help.
Do you know about the roads in India?I am designing for these roads

BvU said:
What design calculations ? Do you understand it still isn't clear what it is you are trying to do ? You start with a question about suspension and end up with the outcome of a design calculation for a flywheel. Please be complete. Is there a problem statement ?

You tell us it's an aluminum flywheel. Why ? Because aluminum is lighter than iron :smile: ?
Its density is less and occupies less weight fo given volume than iron or steel.

I need to design a bicycle with a flywheel and I also decided to put a suspension in it.

Hareesh Venkatraan said:
Its density is less and occupies less weight fo given volume than iron or steel.

A flywheel made from expanded polystyrene (EPS) would occupy even less weight for a given volume than aluminum, iron or steel :-)

Is the flywheel for energy storage or stability or ?

If it's for energy storage then how much energy do you want it to store? That dictates how fast it must spin and it's moment of inertia. The moment of inertia effects it's weight and size. If the size is constrained then the heavier the flywheel the more energy it can store. So why would you want to use an aluminium flywheel?

CWatters said:
A flywheel made from expanded polystyrene (EPS) would occupy even less weight for a given volume than aluminum, iron or steel :-)

Is the flywheel for energy storage or stability or ?

If it's for energy storage then how much energy do you want it to store? That dictates how fast it must spin and it's moment of inertia. The moment of inertia effects it's weight and size. If the size is constrained then the heavier the flywheel the more energy it can store. So why would you want to use an aluminium flywheel?
It is cost effective and also occupies less volume .
It is used for storage purose.

An aluminium flywheel would require MORE volume than an iron or steel flywheel.

1. What is the importance of having a good suspension system on a bicycle?

A good suspension system on a bicycle is crucial for providing a smooth and comfortable ride. It helps to absorb shock and vibrations from rough terrain, making the ride more enjoyable and less fatiguing for the rider. It also improves traction and control, allowing the rider to tackle more challenging terrain with confidence.

2. What types of suspension systems are available for bicycles?

There are three main types of suspension systems for bicycles: front suspension, full suspension, and rigid suspension. Front suspension, also known as a suspension fork, is located on the front wheel and helps to absorb shock and improve handling. Full suspension, also known as dual suspension, has both front and rear suspension, providing the most comfort and control on rough terrain. Rigid suspension, as the name suggests, does not have any suspension and is often found on road bikes or lightweight mountain bikes.

3. How do I determine which suspension system is best for me?

The best suspension system for a bicycle depends on the type of riding you will be doing. If you will be riding on mostly smooth roads or paved trails, a rigid suspension may be sufficient. For more challenging terrain, such as mountain biking, a full suspension system may be more suitable. Consider your riding style, preferences, and budget when choosing a suspension system.

4. What are some important factors to consider when choosing a suspension system?

When choosing a suspension system for your bicycle, there are a few key factors to consider. These include the type of riding you will be doing, your body weight, the terrain you will be riding on, and your budget. It's also important to consider the quality and durability of the suspension components, as well as the ease of maintenance.

5. Can I upgrade the suspension system on my current bicycle?

Yes, it is possible to upgrade the suspension system on your current bicycle. However, it's important to keep in mind that not all bikes are compatible with all types of suspension systems. It's best to consult with a professional or do thorough research before making any upgrades. Additionally, upgrading the suspension system may also require other components, such as a new frame or wheelset, to be upgraded as well.