Best way to connect 8 wires together?

• Thread starter TechTree
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wires
In summary, an electrical housing is the best place to put a circuit like this. It's out of the way and it can handle a lot of current.
TechTree
Okay this may seem like a basic question. I was wondering what would be the best way to connect 8 wires to a single wire. Here's a simple diagram that shows what I'm trying to do:
Diogram.jpg

I've been looking around and I've found things like this:
61xMoczrGjL._SL1000_.jpg

Although it seems that there is no larger one that can support 8 wires. What is the correct way to attach multiple wires together? Should I just daisy chain multiple of these, or is there a better way?

Thanks! :wink:

Moderator's note: Addtional information, the question pertains to 24VDC systems.

Attachments

• Diogram.jpg
    Diogram.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 5,125
  • 61xMoczrGjL._SL1000_.jpg
    61xMoczrGjL._SL1000_.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 4,871
Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Can you not just solder them together? If not, why not?

Terminal blocks are another solution:
upload_2018-9-25_12-49-17.png

Attach the wires to one side, daisy chain a wire to the other side.

Attachments

• upload_2018-9-25_12-49-17.png
    upload_2018-9-25_12-49-17.png
    27.2 KB · Views: 4,541
Without knowing the voltages and current involved no one can really give an accurate answer.
Edit: I now see this is a 24 volt system. DC I assume?

I've usually used the terminal strips with jumpers on one side for stuff like this, as they are cheap and available.

Another alternative is a buss bar.
61lw9EHX50L._SL1200_.jpg
Or a terminal block
JB1_R_8_sm.gif
Or a fuse block, if you need to protect the relay parts.
61Wc4ryF%2BpL._SL1000_.jpg

Attachments

• 61lw9EHX50L._SL1200_.jpg
    61lw9EHX50L._SL1200_.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 4,224
  • JB1_R_8_sm.gif
    JB1_R_8_sm.gif
    11.8 KB · Views: 4,105
  • 61Wc4ryF%2BpL._SL1000_.jpg
    61Wc4ryF%2BpL._SL1000_.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 3,913
Likes TechTree
If current is limited at the source to a safe value, most anything can work safely. But, the higher the amps that the supply is able to source, the more critical it is to have the connections be mechanically sound so as to not dislodge and touch something that can cause sparks, heat, melting wires, etc.

ChemAir said:
I've usually used the terminal strips with jumpers on one side for stuff like this, as they are cheap and available.
Ditto, very convenient, and reliable as long as you do a good job crimping on the spade lugs or lug rings (and optionally solder after crimping).

You can also look at some of the connector systems from Wago. We use their spring-locking splices (like 222-415) for a lot of our AC Mains prototype quick-connects:

upload_2018-9-25_13-49-47.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-9-25_13-49-47.png
    upload_2018-9-25_13-49-47.png
    66.4 KB · Views: 3,785
In vacuum tube days of the 60's we'd make a home-brew buss bar.
Mount two insulated mounts , like ChemAir's terminal block, a few inches apart.
Strip some #12 house wire and string it between them.
Solder as many wires as you like to that.

old jim

Likes TechTree
1. Clean environment or chemically corrosive atmosphere?
2. In an electrical housing, or in the roof or wall space of a house?
3. Motor vehicle or boat, quiet or with vibration from a motor?
4. Implications of failure; Is it a survival critical circuit?

5. What forms the ground return side of the circuit?
6. What is maximum current from supply?
7. What is maximum current to anyone load?

• Nevermind, you want to connect 9 wires, not 8. Go with a terminal block solution. Just use jumpers on the line side.

1. What is the best way to connect 8 wires together?

One of the best ways to connect 8 wires together is by using a wire nut or a twist-on connector. This method involves twisting all 8 wires together and securing them with a wire nut or connector. It is important to ensure that all wires are securely connected and there are no exposed wires.

2. Can I use electrical tape to connect 8 wires together?

While electrical tape can be used to connect wires, it is not recommended for connecting 8 wires together. The tape may not provide a secure connection and can loosen over time, potentially causing electrical hazards. It is best to use a wire nut or connector for connecting multiple wires.

3. Is soldering the best way to connect 8 wires together?

Soldering can be an effective way to connect 8 wires together, but it requires some skill and the right tools. It is important to make sure that the soldered connections are strong and there are no loose wires. If you are not experienced with soldering, it is best to use a wire nut or connector instead.

4. What is the maximum number of wires that can be connected together using a wire nut or connector?

The maximum number of wires that can be connected together using a wire nut or connector depends on the size and type of the connector. It is important to check the manufacturer's instructions or consult a professional to ensure that the chosen connector is suitable for 8 wires.

5. How do I ensure a safe and secure connection when connecting 8 wires together?

To ensure a safe and secure connection when connecting 8 wires together, make sure to use the correct size and type of connector. Double-check that all wires are twisted tightly and there are no exposed wires. It is also important to test the connection afterwards to ensure it is working properly.