Best way to create artificial forces

In summary: Welcome to the PF!If I am honest i have an idea of a way i just wanted to see if people came up with different ideas. It can't be spring loaded because there cannot be any actual devices in contact with the hands.Welcome to the PF!
IMadeYouReadThis
First of all hello everyone, I'm a recent graduate and now I am a mechanical engineer (WEEEEE) and wanted to embark in a project that involves creating artificial forces (Newton's third law kind of forces).

The project basically must have something to counter forces exercised by a hand, i.e. if i press forward I need to create a way to have an artificial force push back. It doesn't have to be too strong but something that you can feel a force acting on it. It can include gloves or anything similar

Cheers!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
IMadeYouReadThis said:
I'm a recent graduate and now I am a mechanical engineer (WEEEEE) and wanted to embark in a project that involves creating artificial forces (Newton's third law kind of forces).
All forces (in inertial frames) are Newton's third law kind of forces.

IMadeYouReadThis said:
The project basically must have something to counter forces exercised by a hand,
For that hit your head with your hand. Might also give you a more interesting project idea.

Likes russ_watters
A.T. said:
All forces (in inertial frames) are Newton's third law kind of forces.

Love is the strongest force and is not netwon's kind of force

A.T. said:
For that hit your head with your hand. Might also give you a more interesting project idea.

And that hasnt been working lately, that's why i recurred to the forum.

Thanks for the input tho!

IMadeYouReadThis said:
The project basically must have something to counter forces exercised by a hand, i.e. if i press forward I need to create a way to have an artificial force push back.
Put on a pair of gloves. Mix up a batch of concrete. Put left hand in concrete. Hold still while concrete sets.

Optional: Arrange for hammer in right hand.

Likes IMadeYouReadThis
jbriggs444 said:
Put on a pair of gloves. Mix up a batch of concrete. Put left hand in concrete. Hold still while concrete sets.

Optional: Arrange for hammer in right hand.

hahahahaha I'm loving this forum already

jbriggs444 said:

I know you are weren't being serious but doing something like this can be dangerous...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...ster-of-Paris-accident-during-art-lesson.html

A 16-year-old girl lost eight of her fingers when they were burned off after becoming set in plaster of Paris during a school art lesson

IMadeYouReadThis said:
hahahahaha I'm loving this forum already
So you are exerting the strongest force of them all. On the forum, I suppose. :)
Is this a natural (organic) or an artificial force?

IMadeYouReadThis said:
The project basically must have something to counter forces exercised by a hand, i.e. if i press forward I need to create a way to have an artificial force push back. It doesn't have to be too strong but something that you can feel a force acting on it. It can include gloves or anything similar
Welcome to the PF.

Something spring loaded could work. Or a stationary object? What other characteristics do you need, and why can't it just be a spring or stationary object? The more you can tell us, the better we can try to answer you. :smile:

Likes IMadeYouReadThis
IMadeYouReadThis said:
The project basically must have something to counter forces exercised by a hand, i.e. if i press forward I need to create a way to have an artificial force push back. It doesn't have to be too strong but something that you can feel a force acting on it.

How about a bucket of corn flour and water (anti-thixotropic)?

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.

Something spring loaded could work. Or a stationary object? What other characteristics do you need, and why can't it just be a spring or stationary object? The more you can tell us, the better we can try to answer you. :smile:

If I am honest i have an idea of a way i just wanted to see if people came up with different ideas. It can't be spring loaded because there cannot be any actual devices in contact with the hands.

I thought about gloves with metal parts distributed along the glove, then when it would pass a defined place or line a magnet or magnet towers or something similar would pull from behind. something like a mime if you may
mimepng-c99e6a6fac9ce25d.png

so:

rwotq9.png

* = magnets deactivated
* = magnets activated
! = limit line
o[ = person with gloves deactivated
o{ =person with gloves activated

Using magnets can be problematic, because it's way too easy to demagnetize people's credit cards, etc. You could make a mechanical harness that fits to the user's body that has arms that reach out to the hands and provide a counter-force, I suppose...

berkeman said:
Using magnets can be problematic, because it's way too easy to demagnetize people's credit cards, etc. You could make a mechanical harness that fits to the user's body that has arms that reach out to the hands and provide a counter-force, I suppose...

hm, that's one of the things i thought about too, it would also be using a computer and I am not sure how much that would affect it. That second option was also an option i thought of but i wanted it to be as little invasive as possible.

putting the credit cards aside, if it was under a controlled environment with just a person, a computer and gloves do you think the magnets would work?

IMadeYouReadThis said:
putting the credit cards aside, if it was under a controlled environment with just a person, a computer and gloves do you think the magnets would work?
I wouldn't think so. If you just have metal parts in the gloves, they will always be attracted to the wall magnets, which is the opposite of what you want. If you try to put magnets in the gloves and point the opposite polarity toward the wall magnet, that will for for a fraction of a second until the gloves spin around and yank the user's hands toward the wall magnets.

If you try to use an AC magnetic field and eddy currents to push the metal in the gloves away, that will create some serious heating issues in the gloves.

You may not be able to, but can you say more about the application? There may be some other options that would be more viable. :smile:

How about sensors that detect motion of the hands and produce an equal movement in the room. Something like a 6 degrees of freedom flight simulator.

Hypnosis might work :-)

Related to Best way to create artificial forces

1. What is the purpose of creating artificial forces?

The purpose of creating artificial forces is to mimic or supplement natural forces for a specific purpose. This can include propulsion, levitation, or manipulation of objects.

2. What are some methods for creating artificial forces?

Some common methods for creating artificial forces include using electromagnets, pneumatic or hydraulic systems, and mechanical devices such as gears and pulleys.

3. How can artificial forces be controlled?

Artificial forces can be controlled through the use of sensors, feedback mechanisms, and computer programming. This allows for precise and adjustable control of the forces being generated.

4. Are there any limitations to creating artificial forces?

Yes, there are limitations to creating artificial forces. These can include technical limitations such as power source and materials used, as well as ethical considerations and potential negative impacts on the environment.

5. What are some potential applications for artificial forces?

Artificial forces have a wide range of potential applications, including in transportation, manufacturing, and medical fields. They can also be used for entertainment purposes, such as in amusement park rides.