Best way to learn string theory?

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's background in cosmology, their interest in string cosmology, and their search for resources to learn more about string theory. They mention the book "A First Course in String Theory" as a good introductory resource, along with other recommended books for advanced study. The conversation also touches on the incorporation of multiverse theory in string theory and the importance of understanding D branes and T duality.
CosmicDream
I am a cosmologist/theoretical astrophysicist, and so far my research (all 2 years of it) has focused on quantum cosmology. However, I have become interested in string cosmology recently, and wish to do some work in that field. Obviously though, there is a minor problem with that idea. Learning String Theory. Does anyone have any ideas on the best methods of learning this theory?

Physics news on Phys.org
Zwiebach, A First Course in String Theory
This book is written for undergraduates, so I am sure that you will be able to read it and learn a lot from it.

Likes MathematicalPhysicist
I like the combination of Tong + Green,Schwarz Witten. Zwiebach is excellent as a first exposure and contains many great treatments, but is also very lengthy.

haushofer said:
I like the combination of Tong + Green,Schwarz Witten. Zwiebach is excellent as a first exposure and contains many great treatments, but is also very lengthy.

Plus, not susy, just D=26.

arivero said:
Plus, not susy, just D=26.
The second edition of Zwiebach has susy and D=10.

Likes arivero
Demystifier said:
The second edition of Zwiebach has susy and D=10.

Good to know. It is a huge difference, IMO.

arivero said:
Good to know. It is a huge difference, IMO.
Yes, but the corresponding new chapter is only about 20 pages long, and not very well written. So the difference is not so huge. It looks as he added this chapter only because of the pressure of the peers.

Likes arivero
@CosmicDream , since you want to know about string cosmology mainly, you should keep in mind that string theory incorporates multiverse theory . You must have clear concepts about D branes and T duality (which you shall learn in studying string theory) as string theory is a theory of not only strings but also of extended objects called branes .

I suggest the books (for beginning) - Modern introduction to string theory and M theory by J.Schwarzs , K.Becker
A First course in string theory by Barton Zwebach

And For advanced study _
String theory vol 1&2 By J.Polchinski
Supersymmetry and String theory By Michael Dine
Developments in string theory By J.Maldacena

1. What is string theory?

String theory is a theoretical framework in physics that attempts to unify all known fundamental forces and particles in the universe by describing them as tiny strings rather than point-like particles.

2. Is it necessary to have a background in physics to learn string theory?

While a background in physics can be helpful, it is not necessarily required to learn string theory. However, a strong understanding of mathematics, particularly calculus and linear algebra, is essential.

3. What is the best way to learn string theory?

The best way to learn string theory is by studying it in a structured manner, starting from the basics and building a strong foundation in the mathematical and theoretical concepts. It is also helpful to consult with experts and attend lectures or workshops on the topic.

4. How long does it take to learn string theory?

The time it takes to learn string theory varies for each individual and depends on their prior knowledge and dedication to studying. It can take anywhere from a few months to several years to gain a thorough understanding of string theory.

5. What are some recommended resources for learning string theory?

Some recommended resources for learning string theory include textbooks such as "String Theory for Dummies" and "The Little Book of String Theory", online courses and lectures from reputable institutions, and academic papers and journals on the topic.