Best way to see Andromeda galaxy

In summary, the best way to see the Andromeda Galaxy with a dobsonian reflector telescope is to use the Orion 1.25" 10mm Sirius Plossl telescope eyepiece for a wider field of view. Other interesting objects to view with this telescope include planets, the moon, and bright nebulae like the Orion Nebula. Living in the New England area may pose challenges for viewing due to cloud coverage, but resources like "A Field Guide to the Stars and Planets" and Sky and Telescope magazine can provide helpful tips and guides for observing the night sky.
GiantSheeps
I just recently got a dobsonian reflector telescope, (Orion SkyQuest XT8 PLUS Dobsonian Reflector Telescope) and I was wondering what the best way to see the andromeda galaxy would be using the telescope? Of these, which would be the best eye piece for that sort of thing?:

Orion 2" 28mm DeepView telescope eyepiece
Orion 1.25" 10mm Sirius Plossl telescope eyepiece
Orion 1.25" Shorty 2x Barlow

Also, if not the andromeda galaxy, what else would be able to see that is especially neat to look at with this kind of telescope? I live in the new england area, if that helps. Any tips would be greatly appreciated, I'm just starting out so I need all the help I can get. Thanks!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
For a galaxy, you want the least magnification/widest field of view you can get. So that would be the 10mm eyepiece.

You'll definitely also want to look at the planets, the moon and some of the brighter nebulae (Orion Nebula to start).

Likes GiantSheeps
To build on Russ' answer, M31 is big. Really big. Bigger than the moon. You don't need magnification - it will only mean you'll see less of it. You need light collection, and you'll want to go where the sky is darkest.

Likes GiantSheeps
Russ is right about using the least magnification. But that would be with the 28mm eyepiece. Magnification is scope focal length divided by eyepiece focal length.
In your case 1200/28 at 43 vs 1200/10 at 120.

Likes davenn, GiantSheeps and russ_watters
Lol, that was stupid -- thanks for the correction!

GiantSheeps said:
Also, if not the andromeda galaxy, what else would be able to see that is especially neat to look at with this kind of telescope? I live in the new england area, if that helps. Any tips would be greatly appreciated, I'm just starting out so I need all the help I can get. Thanks!

The New England area? I heard that all you can see there is clouds. Come to Arizona for a real sky. :-p
If you go out after about 9-10 pm, Orion should be coming up in the East. The Orion Nebula is a beauty to look at.

Likes GiantSheeps
There exists in the Petersen's series "A Field Guide to the Stars and Planets"
that i found very helpful getting started with my first telescope, a short little 4.5 inch reflector.

Also Sky and Telescope magazine i found fascinating. Check out their weekly sky guide at
http://www.skyandtelescope.com/observing/sky-at-a-glance/

1. How can I see the Andromeda galaxy with my naked eye?

The best way to see the Andromeda galaxy with your naked eye is to find a location with minimal light pollution, such as a dark sky preserve or remote area. Then, look for a faint, elongated patch of light in the sky. This is the Andromeda galaxy, also known as M31.

2. What equipment do I need to see the Andromeda galaxy?

If you want to see more detail in the Andromeda galaxy, a pair of binoculars or a small telescope will greatly enhance your viewing experience. However, it is also possible to see the galaxy with just your naked eye under the right conditions.

3. When is the best time to see the Andromeda galaxy?

The best time to see the Andromeda galaxy is during the fall and winter months in the Northern Hemisphere. This is when the galaxy is at its highest point in the sky and is easiest to spot. However, it can also be seen in the spring and summer months.

4. Can I see the Andromeda galaxy from anywhere on Earth?

Yes, the Andromeda galaxy can be seen from anywhere on Earth, as long as the sky is dark enough and there are no obstructions blocking your view. However, it may be easier to see from certain latitudes, such as those closer to the equator.

5. How far away is the Andromeda galaxy?

The Andromeda galaxy is approximately 2.5 million light years away from Earth. This means that the light we see from the galaxy today actually left the galaxy 2.5 million years ago, and we are seeing it as it appeared in the past.