Best way to start a career in computer science without a BS

In summary, the speaker is from Peru and is about to finish their degree in Industrial Engineering in March with outstanding grades. They are considering options for starting a career in Computer Science, including starting a BS in CS from an ivy league school, doing a masters degree in CS, doing a 1-year master conversion program in the UK followed by a regular masters, or doing a second undergraduate degree in the UK. The speaker prefers the UK options as they have family there. When asked which area of computer science they are interested in, the speaker mentions artificial intelligence but is unsure which area would benefit from their IE degree. They believe they have a talent for communicating with computers and want to study CS because of this.
piyowashere
Hello, i am from Peru and about to finish my degree in Industrial Engineering in March with outstanding grades.

In order to start a career in Computer science i have thought of this options:
1. Start a BS in CS from an ivy league school. (will my good grades in my previous degree help?)
2. Do a masters degree in CS: i think people with a bs in cs will know more than me
3. Do a 1 year master conversion program in the UK: its incredibly short, i don't think i will have the required knowledge to be the best. I would then do a regular masters
4. Do a second undergraduate degree in the UK

I would prefer the uk options as i have family there

Please help me out guys, i am really lost, no idea where to start, and no one else to talk to

Physics news on Phys.org
What area of computer science? Some areas have more "prerequisites" than others, and your IE experience will probably be more applicable to certain areas.

In Which areas will my I.E degrEe benefit me?

I was thinking artificial inteligence although I am not sure. I didn't have an oportunity to study aboard before. I want to study cs because I think I have realized that talking to computers is what I ambest at.

Related to Best way to start a career in computer science without a BS

1. How can I start a career in computer science without a Bachelor's degree?

There are several ways to start a career in computer science without a Bachelor's degree. One option is to pursue a coding bootcamp, which is a short and intensive training program that teaches you the necessary skills for a career in computer science. Another option is to take online courses and earn certifications in specific programming languages or technologies. You can also gain practical experience through internships or freelance work.

2. Is it possible to get a job in computer science with just a high school diploma?

While it may be more challenging, it is possible to get a job in computer science with just a high school diploma. Many companies value practical skills and experience over formal education. It may require more effort to stand out among other candidates, but with determination and perseverance, you can still have a successful career in computer science.

3. What skills do I need to have to start a career in computer science?

Some essential skills for a career in computer science include problem-solving, critical thinking, attention to detail, and the ability to learn and adapt quickly. You should also have a strong foundation in mathematics, as well as knowledge of programming languages, data structures, and algorithms. Good communication and teamwork skills are also crucial in this field.

4. How important is networking for starting a career in computer science?

Networking can be beneficial for starting a career in computer science, just like in any other field. Building connections with professionals in the industry can help you learn about job opportunities, gain advice and insights, and expand your knowledge and skills. Networking can also lead to potential job offers and career advancements in the future.

5. What are some tips for starting a successful career in computer science without a Bachelor's degree?

Some tips for starting a successful career in computer science without a Bachelor's degree include continuously learning and staying updated on new technologies, building a strong portfolio of projects, and networking with professionals in the industry. It is also essential to have a growth mindset and be willing to take on challenges and learn from mistakes. Finally, don't be afraid to start small and work your way up in your career. Every experience and opportunity can lead to bigger and better things in the future.