Applying for Physics Grad School without Physics Major?

In summary, if you have a degree in Computer Science or a related field, you will have a harder time getting accepted into graduate programs in Physics. However, if you have the equivalent of an undergraduate degree in Physics, you can still enroll in graduate school and have a good chance of being accepted.
valair
I've always wanted to be a Physicist and become a researcher. I'm particularly interested in particle physics and quantum computing. I have BS Computer Engineering and MS Computer Science degrees and have been working as a programmer for more than 5 years. How should I go towards a Physics career path given my situation? Will scoring high on Physics GRE be enough to be considered as a potential MS or PhD candidate?

Physics news on Phys.org
Before you embark on this course of study, you will need more than good GRE scores. You will need, at the very minimum, the backbone of the undergraduate physics education which is intermediate-level courses in Classical Mechanics (1), E&M (1 or 2), Thermodynamics and Statistical Mechanics (1) and Quantum Mechanics (1). Some schools in the U.S. might admit you but not to candidacy. This means that you will be allowed to take courses there without being a degree candidate until you prove yourself.

I did 2 semesters of Physics during my undergrad covering Newtonian mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, wave/acoustics, optics, and basic relativity. I got a minimum of A on all those classes. I also took Calculus, Linear Algebra, and Differential Equations and got good grades on those. However I believe these won't weigh heavily enough to get through admissions; I'm already at a huge disadvantage competing with people whose majors lie in the Physical sciences.

I'm planning grad school somewhere in Europelikely in Germanydue to much lower tuition fees. I'm from a developing Asian country working in a multi-national company on another Asian country. Skimming through the thread from Choppy's reply, it seems I can further strengthen my position by taking additional Physics coursework. Are there schools in Europe where I can enroll for extra Physics credit? Bonus if I can earn "Europe-recognized" Physics credit from outside Europe or even online. I'm reluctant to take a BS degree again because it will take a lot of time.

1. Can I apply for Physics grad school without having a Physics major?

Yes, it is possible to apply for Physics grad school without having a Physics major. Many universities and colleges offer a bridge program or pre-requisite courses for students with non-Physics majors who are interested in pursuing a graduate degree in Physics. However, it is important to have a strong foundation in math and science courses to be a competitive applicant.

2. What are the requirements for applying to Physics grad school without a Physics major?

The requirements may vary depending on the university, but generally, you will need to have completed certain math and science courses such as calculus, physics, and chemistry. You may also need to take the GRE (Graduate Record Examination) and have letters of recommendation from professors or employers.

3. Will not having a Physics major affect my chances of getting accepted into a Physics grad school?

Having a Physics major may give you an advantage, but it is not the only factor that admissions committees consider. They also look at your overall academic performance, GRE scores, letters of recommendation, and research experience. If you have a strong background in math and science courses and can demonstrate your passion for Physics through research or other activities, not having a Physics major should not significantly affect your chances.

4. Can I switch to a Physics major in my undergraduate studies to improve my chances of getting into a Physics grad school?

Switching to a Physics major may help you build a stronger foundation in Physics and increase your chances of getting accepted into a Physics grad school. However, it is not necessary to switch majors if you are already in your final year of undergraduate studies. Instead, you can take additional Physics courses or participate in research to demonstrate your interest and aptitude in the field.

5. Are there any specific tips for applying to Physics grad school without a Physics major?

Some tips for applying to Physics grad school without a Physics major include taking additional math and science courses, participating in research projects, and getting strong letters of recommendation from professors in related fields. It is also important to showcase your passion for Physics and explain why you are interested in pursuing a graduate degree in the field, despite not having a Physics major.