Beta Distributed Random Variates

In summary: This means that the values for ##Y## can range from 0 to 1, but they are not restricted to those values. This method for generating samples from the beta distribution involves using uniform random variables over the interval ##[0,1]##, which aligns with the support of the beta distribution. Alternatively, one could use a truncated exponential distribution or discard values outside the support interval to generate samples in the desired range for the beta distribution.
BOAS
Hello,

I am looking at different methods for generating random numbers from the beta distribution. I am a bit confused about the following statement:

"It is known that if ##a, b ∈ N_{>0} = \{1, 2, 3, . . .\}##, ##Y = \frac{\sum_{i=1}^a X_i}{\sum_{j=1}^{a+b}X_k}## is ##\mathrm{Be}(a, b)##-distributed where ##X_1, X_2, . . .## are IID Exp(1) random variates."

What I am confused by is the different intervals of support that the beta distribution and exponential distribution have. The beta distribution is supported on [0,1] whereas the exponential distribution on [0, inf).

It seems that this method for generating samples from the beta distribution results in values greater than 1 which should otherwise be zero.

So what does one typically do in this situation?
Generate samples from a truncated exponential?
Throw away samples that are outside the support interval of the beta distribution?

I hope my question is clear,

thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
BOAS said:
Hello,

I am looking at different methods for generating random numbers from the beta distribution. I am a bit confused about the following statement:

"It is known that if ##a, b ∈ N_{>0} = \{1, 2, 3, . . .\}##, ##Y = \frac{\sum_{i=1}^a X_i}{\sum_{j=1}^{a+b}X_k}## is ##\mathrm{Be}(a, b)##-distributed where ##X_1, X_2, . . .## are IID Exp(1) random variates."
append: ##[0,1]## uniform random variables.

- - - -
Try that instead. With respect to a conjugate prior in Bayesian Inference, order statistics, and even a combinatorial interpretation of the the Beta integral (for the normalizing constant), the interpretation is always for uniform random variable over ##[0,1]## -- or ##(0,1)##. I have a hunch that that is what was being aimed at here.
- - - -
In general I'm not such a fan of opaque 'it is known that statements', especially when they are wrong. There are plenty of built-in libraries for generating from Beta, so I'm not really sure what you're aiming to do here.

Last edited:
StoneTemplePython said:
append: ##[0,1]## uniform random variables.

- - - -
Try that instead. With respect to a conjugate prior in Bayesian Inference, order statistics, and even a combinatorial interpretation of the the Beta integral (for the normalizing constant), the interpretation is always for uniform random variable over ##[0,1]## -- or ##(0,1)##. I have a hunch that that is what was being aimed at here.
- - - -
In general I'm not such a fan of opaque 'it is known that statements', especially when they are wrong. There are plenty of built-in libraries for generating from Beta, so I'm not really sure what you're aiming to do here.

Thank you, that looks much better!

I know that there are libraries for sampling from many of these distributions but I am learning a bit about different methods of doing so. The point is to generate the samples.

BOAS said:
Thank you, that looks much better!

I know that there are libraries for sampling from many of these distributions but I am learning a bit about different methods of doing so. The point is to generate the samples.

A couple other thoughts:the beta integral itself has a very nice probability interpretation which may help you get some intuition for what's going on here. I know I enjoy this video from MIT's 6.041x on edx (video hosted on youtube)

- - - -
if you are interested in computing, and have ever looked at building a Spam vs Ham classifier (a very simple Naive Bayes project) the Beta pdf comes up very naturally as a (conjugate) prior.

And finally, to the extent you are interested in ranking things like sports teams, you may find it interesting to see the Beta distribution lurking in part 3 of the below link, under "The Basic Statistic — Laplace’s Method". The Colley ranking system is used in BCS system for ranking college football -- its simple, transparent and unreasonably effective.

http://www.colleyrankings.com/matrate.pdf

Last edited:
BOAS said:

It seems that this method for generating samples from the beta distribution results in values greater than 1 which should otherwise be zero.
Both the numerator and denominator contain the common summand ##( X_1 + X_2 + ...X_a) = S ## So the fraction is of the form ##Y = \frac{S}{S+p} ## where ##p = \sum_{j=a+1}^{a+b} X_j##.

1. What is a Beta Distributed Random Variate?

A Beta Distributed Random Variate is a type of random variable that follows a Beta distribution. It is a continuous probability distribution that takes on values between 0 and 1, and is commonly used in statistical analysis and modeling.

2. How is a Beta Distributed Random Variate different from other types of random variables?

Unlike other types of random variables, such as normal or binomial, a Beta Distributed Random Variate can only take on values between 0 and 1. This makes it useful for modeling continuous data that is bounded by these limits, such as proportions or probabilities.

3. What factors determine the shape of a Beta distribution?

The shape of a Beta distribution is determined by two parameters, alpha and beta, which represent the shape and scale of the distribution. These parameters can be adjusted to create a variety of different shapes, including symmetric, skewed, and U-shaped distributions.

4. How is a Beta Distributed Random Variate generated?

A Beta Distributed Random Variate can be generated using various methods, including mathematical algorithms or computer simulations. These methods use the parameters alpha and beta to generate a sequence of random values that follow a Beta distribution.

5. In what fields is the Beta distribution commonly used?

The Beta distribution is commonly used in fields such as economics, finance, engineering, and biology. It is particularly useful for modeling data that is bounded by 0 and 1, such as market shares, survival rates, and allele frequencies.