Betelgeuse will be eclipsed by an asteroid

• Stargazing
  • Thread starter mfb
  • Start date
TL;DR Summary
One of the brightest stars in the night sky will be eclipsed by asteroid Leona December 11/12.
Occultations of bright stars are very rare. In the night to Tuesday (~10 seconds between 01:98 to 01:26 UTC depending on the location) it will be visible in a narrow band starting near Guadalajara in Mexico, crossing Florida at Miami, southern Spain, southern Italy, northern Greece, and Turkey around Ankara before ending in central Asia. This article has maps, more details.

Occultations are great opportunities to study the asteroid in more details, but here astronomers will also use observations to learn more about the star. We know it's approaching the end of its life and it's very dynamic, changing its brightness and even shape notably over time.

• Informative
Likes Astronuc, Drakkith, chemisttree and 4 others
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Definitely a fascinating event. This site will be providing a live stream of the event from Italy on 12 Dec. 2023, starting at 01:00 UTC:
https://www.virtualtelescope.eu/webtv/

From mfb's article above:
Lasting for nearly 18 minutes, the occultation will start at 8:08 p.m. ET and end at 8:26 p.m. ET (December 12 at 01:08:23 UT to 01:26:00 UT).

• Informative
Likes pinball1970, DAH, russ_watters and 1 other person
mfb said:
Occultations are great opportunities to study the asteroid in more details, but here astronomers will also use observations to learn more about the star.
One day I will get the differences between transits, eclipses, and occultations straight. But what will we learn about the star? Onviously we won't see it when it is occulted.

Vanadium 50 said:
occult
Telling the difference is a black art.

• Haha
Likes Vanadium 50
Vanadium 50 said:
But what will we learn about the star?
We may learn nothing new about the star, because we now have Hubble images.
The variation in brightness of the star, as it is eclipsed by the asteroid, can be deconvoluted to determine the size and the intensity of the corona.

Likes Borg
Vanadium 50 said:
One day I will get the differences between transits, eclipses, and occultations straight. But what will we learn about the star? Onviously we won't see it when it is occulted.
If and when it were "occulted".
The thing is, like Sun and Moon, Leona and Betelgeuse are actually close in size... with the foreground object thought to be slightly smaller (like annular eclipses of Sun). BUT compared to Sun and Moon which are close to exact discs, Leona and Betelgeuse are BOTH quite distorted, in shape and (what matters for Betelgeuse) distribution of brightness across the face.

Man that would be cool to see...

How often are stars eclipsed or occluded by LEO satellites, bats or aeroplanes?
Was that not a way of tracking stealth aircraft flying over your territory at night?
Blink, and you will miss it.

Baluncore said:
We may learn nothing new about the star, because we now have Hubble images.
Exactly what I was getting at.

It may be possible to do spectroscopy (if it could be done fast enough) and learn something about magnetic fields, bur I would imagine they are small.

Baluncore said:
How often are stars eclipsed or occluded by LEO satellites, bats or aeroplanes?
This sounds like a Fermi problem.

For satellites the scale is once per night. Maybe this is a few times per night, and maybe it is once every few nights, but it's not minutes and its not centuries.

However, these events last fractions of a millisecond.

Almost two hours past and no updates. No live feeds (virtual telescope cancelled due to overcast conditions).

I dream of a future where international news will travel faster than a guy on a pony with a mail bag. But I'm spoiled.

Guess I'll wait till the world's astronomers punch in tomorrow at 9AM EST...
:sorry:

Likes russ_watters
Vanadium 50 said:
Different parts of the star were blocked from view at different times, which corresponds to an effective angular resolution better than everything conventional telescopes on Earth can provide.
Hubble is too small to contribute to that anyway.

I don't dispute that, but it doesn't answer my question. What do you learn about the star? If you were writing a proposal for telescope time, what would be the title?

Thanks - that's what I was looking for.

I've not seen any reports from the field: Did it happen ??

Nik_2213 said:
Did it happen ??
Did the asteroid disappear? Did the star go out? I think not.

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that it's only been 10 working days plus a major holiday since then.

Likes Nik_2213
It happened. Videos of it aren't very spectacular, and data analysis will take months.

Likes Nik_2213 and berkeman
mfb said:
It happened. Videos of it ...
Thanks. That's all I wanted.

It's pretty darned cool to see a cosmic event occurring in real time of an object 550ly away. (OK, technically the event is more like 30 light minutes away, but still). I would have loved to be able look up and see it.

Likes Nik_2213

1. What does it mean that Betelgeuse will be eclipsed by an asteroid?

An eclipse of Betelgeuse by an asteroid refers to an event where an asteroid passes directly between Earth and the star Betelgeuse, temporarily blocking its light. This type of event is rare and provides astronomers a unique opportunity to study both the star and the asteroid.

2. How can astronomers predict when Betelgeuse will be eclipsed by an asteroid?

Astronomers use observations and mathematical models to track the paths of asteroids and stars. By analyzing the motion of an asteroid and its trajectory relative to Earth and Betelgeuse, they can predict when an eclipse might occur.

3. What can scientists learn from an eclipse of Betelgeuse by an asteroid?

During such an eclipse, scientists can study the properties of the asteroid, such as its size, shape, and composition, by observing the starlight that filters around it. Additionally, they can examine changes in the star’s light caused by the asteroid to gain insights into Betelgeuse’s atmosphere.

4. Will the eclipse of Betelgeuse by an asteroid be visible to the naked eye?

Whether the eclipse will be visible to the naked eye depends on the size of the asteroid and its distance from Earth. Most likely, specialized telescopic equipment will be needed to observe the event directly, although indirect effects might be noticeable to keen observers.

5. What impact will the eclipse have on Betelgeuse?

The eclipse itself will have no physical impact on Betelgeuse. It is merely an alignment of the asteroid between the star and Earth. Betelgeuse will continue to shine as usual, with only its light being temporarily obscured from our view.