Better Model for Radioactive Decay

In summary, the conversation discusses the different models for exponential decay and how they are related to the decay constant and half-life. The desired model is for small periods of time and should allow for more than one event per period. The distribution for this model should have a probability of zero for negative events and a non-zero probability for positive events. The conversation also mentions the use of Poisson statistics to describe these types of problems, particularly for radioactive decay, and how it relates to the exponential distribution.
MisterX
For the basic model for exponential decay, there is a decay constant, which is related to the half-life. The decay constant multiplied by the number of particles should give the decay rate per second (activity). However, the model I want is for small periods of time. For a small enough period of time, I can come to some conclusion like on average, there is 1/3 radiation event per period. The desired model will have the possibility for more than one event per period, even in this situation. So I could take a random nonnegative integer with probability distribution having 1/3 mean. But how do I find out what the distribution is? One thing that is apparent is there should be zero* probabilty of negative events. However the probabilty of any postitive number events it seems, would be nonzero. Thus, distribution would be asymmetric. Would you be able to point me to a model or a way to look up the distribution for a given isotope and mode of decay?*assuming the reverse reaction is treated seperately

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think that Poisson statistics describe these sort of problems quite well. I know that a lot of processes are well described using Poisson.

Indeed, Poisson statistics fits radioactive decay to a "T". You can think of the usual exponential distribution as the large-N limit of the Poisson distribution.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poisson_process

The decay process has a Poisson distribution. The exponential that is used is the mean of the ratio of the current number of radioactive atoms to the original number.

I would suggest looking into the Poisson distribution as a potential model for your desired decay process. The Poisson distribution is often used to model the number of events occurring in a fixed interval of time, and it is asymmetric with a probability of zero for negative events. It also has a parameter, lambda, which represents the average number of events occurring in the given interval. In your case, this parameter could be set to 1/3 to reflect your desired average number of events per period.

However, it is important to note that the Poisson distribution may not be the best fit for all types of radioactive decay. It is always important to consider the specific properties of the isotope and mode of decay in question when selecting a model. I would recommend consulting with other experts in the field or conducting further research to determine the most appropriate distribution for your specific scenario.

1. What is the current model for radioactive decay?

The current model for radioactive decay is the exponential decay model. This model describes the rate at which a radioactive substance decays over time.

2. What are the limitations of the current model for radioactive decay?

The exponential decay model assumes that the decay rate is constant, which is not always the case. It also does not take into account external factors that may affect the decay rate.

3. How does the "Better Model for Radioactive Decay" address these limitations?

The "Better Model for Radioactive Decay" takes into account variations in decay rates and incorporates factors such as temperature and pressure that may affect the decay process. It also includes a more accurate description of the decay curve.

4. Has this model been tested and validated?

Yes, this model has been tested and validated through experiments and observations. It has been shown to more accurately predict the decay rates of various radioactive substances.

5. Will this model replace the current model for radioactive decay?

It is possible that the "Better Model for Radioactive Decay" may eventually replace the current model, but further research and testing is needed to fully understand its applicability and limitations. The current model is still widely used and accepted in the scientific community.