Beyond the energy equipartition, what is the uneven partitioning?

• A
  • Thread starter napdmitry
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary, the energy equipartition theorem is a well-known concept that works for many systems but requires dense filling of the surface of constant energy. However, if there are other conserved quantities like momentum or angular momentum, the energy partitioning will be uneven. This is supported by numerical evidence in various systems, such as isolated clusters of atoms. One example is an ideal gas in a round vessel where heavier particles have lower mean energy. The question is how general this law of uneven energy partitioning is and if there are other examples. The concept of ergodicity is relevant here, but non-ergodic systems can be decomposed into smaller components that may be treated separately. The presence of an additional integral of motion prevents the energy surface
napdmitry
There is a celebrated energy equipartition theorem, it works fine for many systems. But it requires the dense filling of the surface of constant energy. What if there are other conserved quantities, like momentum or angular momentum? It seems, that the energy partitioning will be uneven, with approximately linear dependence of the mean energy on the mass share, associated with the degree of freedom. The heavier the particle, the lesser it's mean energy. There are numerical pieces of evidence of such partitioning in different systems, like isolated clusters of atoms. A good example is the usual ideal gas in a round vessel. The question is, how general is such a law of uneven energy partitioning? Can anyone provide other examples of uneven partitioning laws?

Science news on Phys.org
napdmitry said:
Can anyone provide other examples of uneven partitioning laws?
See K. Huang, Statistical Mechanics, Chapter 6.4. The equipartition theorem can be violated by quantum mechanics, as well as by Hamiltonians which are not quadratic in canonical positions.

Likes hutchphd and vanhees71
I know it can be violated, but what is the uneven law then?

napdmitry said:
I know it can be violated, but what is the uneven law then?
See formula (6.34) in the mentioned book.

Likes Lord Jestocost
It seems that I must clarify my question. That formula (6.34) is <xi dH/dxj> = δi j kT, which is an equipartition theorem in a generalized form. It works fine for an ideal gas in a rectangular vessel, for example. But it does not work for ideal gas in a round vessel, where massive enough particles will have their mean energy below equipartition level. This can be easily found via numerical simulation. The theoretical explanation is that the derivation of energy partitioning includes integration over the whole energy surface. But the energy surface is not filled, except for the zero measure set, if there are other integrals of motion. Like the conservation of the angular momentum in a round vessel. So the question was, what will be if the formula (6.34), in particular, does not work? It seems that there is a more or less universal unevel law of energy partitioning. May be someone knows good related examples, except for the one I've provided.
>

I believe the crux of the matter here is the ergodic theorem yes?

hutchphd said:
In my opinion, the ergodic theorems (including their weaker forms) are never relevant in realistic systems, because ergodicity is only relevant for very very long times, typically many orders of magnitude longer than the age of the Universe.

Yes, ergodicity is one of the requirements for the equipartition theorem to work. But there are some systems that are known to be nonergodic. Any additional law of conservation is enough for the energy surface not to be filled entirely. I believe such situations are not that uncommon. So what is known about energy partitioning when the equipartition theorem is not applicable?

Likes vanhees71
To my mind, non-ergodic systems might probaly be decomposed into a number of components, each of which might be treated separately ergodic.

napdmitry said:
It seems that there is a more or less universal unevel law of energy partitioning. May be someone knows good related examples, except for the one I've provided.
Sorry. Unevel?

napdmitry said:
Any additional law of conservation is enough for the energy surface not to be filled entirely.
How does this differ from other continuum limits routinely taken for finite systems? Can you elucidate (or provide guidance for the woefully misinformed) the concept of "measure" by which this is reckoned?

Uneven, of course. You are right, there are routinely taken limits for finite systems, while proofs of the equipartition theorem usually involve infinite limits of integration. But to my knowledge, the equipartition theorem still works fine in many finite systems. These limits by themselves do not lead to its violation. I don't know if there is any theoretical justification for it, it's only what my experience told me.

The presence of another integral of motion means that the state representing point moves along the intersection of two surfaces. These are the surfaces of constant energy and of another integral of motion being constant. The intersection of these two surfaces is a surface of lower dimensionality. It is obviously a subset of the energy surface. There is at least one such system with the equipartition violation being found, where the exact law of uneven energy partitioning is known theoretically. But that is only for one particular system. I would like to know if there are other such or different uneven laws found in other systems.

• Informative
Likes hutchphd
napdmitry said:
There is at least one such system with the equipartition violation being found,
What system?

Simulation of an ideal gas which is confined by rigid vessel walls?

This would be a toy model simulation for a deterministic system.

1. What is energy equipartition?

Energy equipartition is a principle in thermodynamics that states that in a system at equilibrium, the total energy is equally distributed among all available energy modes. This means that each mode, such as translational, rotational, and vibrational energy, has an equal share of the total energy.

2. How does energy equipartition relate to uneven partitioning?

Uneven partitioning occurs when the total energy in a system is not equally distributed among all energy modes. This can happen if the system is not at equilibrium or if there are external factors that affect the distribution of energy. In other words, energy equipartition is the ideal scenario, while uneven partitioning is the deviation from this ideal state.

3. What causes uneven partitioning of energy?

Uneven partitioning of energy can be caused by various factors, such as non-equilibrium conditions, external forces, or the nature of the system itself. For example, in a gas, if the molecules are not all at the same temperature, then the energy distribution among the different energy modes will be uneven.

4. How does uneven partitioning affect the behavior of a system?

Uneven partitioning of energy can significantly impact the behavior of a system. For instance, if one energy mode has a significantly higher share of the total energy, it can dominate the system's behavior and affect its overall stability. This can lead to unexpected or non-ideal outcomes in the system.

5. Can uneven partitioning be corrected?

In some cases, uneven partitioning can be corrected by adjusting the system's conditions or removing external factors that are causing the imbalance. For example, in a gas, the temperature can be equalized to achieve energy equipartition. However, in some cases, uneven partitioning may be an inherent property of the system and cannot be fully corrected.