Intuition on equipartition of energy (EM waves)

In summary, the equipartition theorem states that in thermal equilibrium, energy is evenly distributed among all degrees of freedom of a physical system. This concept is intuitive for systems with composite particles, where each degree of freedom corresponds to a velocity. However, for electromagnetic waves, the energy is also evenly distributed among polarizations, which may not seem as intuitive. This can be explained by the formal similarities between the energy equations for particles and fields, leading to the application of the equipartition theorem to electromagnetic waves. Ultimately, this also agrees with experimental notions of temperature, making it a valid concept.
center o bass
Hi!

I try to get some intuitive understanding on the equipartition theorem stating that in thermal equilibrium, energy is evenly distributed among all degrees of freedom of a physical system.

This is indeed intuitive for a system consisting of composite particles with translational and rotational motion: each degree of freedom is just a kind of velocity, and with the randomness of thermal equilibrium it is intuitive that the energy is distributed equally among the different velocities. By reference to the ideal gass law, this amount should be ##1/2 k T##.

However, what about electromagnetic waves: it is intuitive that the energy should be distributed equally amongst the polarizations -- however, why is the energy, also here, ##1/2 kT##?

Is it intuitive that the energy associated to a degree of freedom of a material particle is the same as the energy corresponding to degree of freedom of an electromagnetic wave? I.e. ##1/2 k T##?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would not call it intuitive, but it's hard to agree what does it mean. I would call it formal - Poynting energy can be written down formally in a way resembling the way harmonic oscillator's energy is written down. Physics is completely different (field vs. particle) but on a paper, the formulae look almost the same so people thought "let's try to apply the equipartition theorem to the field and see what happens".

Jano L. said:
I would not call it intuitive, but it's hard to agree what does it mean. I would call it formal - Poynting energy can be written down formally in a way resembling the way harmonic oscillator's energy is written down. Physics is completely different (field vs. particle) but on a paper, the formulae look almost the same so people thought "let's try to apply the equipartition theorem to the field and see what happens".

Indeed -- if it were not the case that this had to agree with the experimental notion of temerature -- i would think it was more of a definition of electromagnetic temperature.

Q1: What is the principle of equipartition of energy?

The principle of equipartition of energy states that in a system in thermal equilibrium, the total energy is equally divided among all the available degrees of freedom.

Q2: How does the principle of equipartition of energy apply to electromagnetic waves?

In the case of electromagnetic waves, the energy is equally distributed between the electric and magnetic fields. This means that the energy of the wave is divided evenly between the two fields, and each field carries half of the total energy.

Q3: How does equipartition of energy affect the wavelength and frequency of EM waves?

The principle of equipartition of energy does not directly affect the wavelength and frequency of EM waves. However, it does determine the amount of energy carried by the wave, which is proportional to its amplitude. Therefore, if the energy of the wave is increased or decreased, the amplitude, and thus the wavelength and frequency, will also change.

Q4: Can the principle of equipartition of energy be applied to all types of EM waves?

Yes, the principle of equipartition of energy applies to all types of EM waves, whether they are visible light, radio waves, microwaves, or X-rays. This is because all EM waves are governed by the same laws of physics and exhibit the same properties.

Q5: What are the practical implications of the principle of equipartition of energy for EM waves?

The principle of equipartition of energy is crucial for understanding the behavior and properties of EM waves. It helps in the design and development of technologies that use EM waves, such as communication systems, medical imaging devices, and solar panels. It also allows us to calculate the energy carried by EM waves and make predictions about their behavior in different environments.