Bicycle Chain: Exploring Force, Torque & Improvement

In summary, the conversation revolved around understanding and improving the functionality of a chain. The main focus was on finding torque and rotational work, and the confusion on how to split the circle into radians. There was also a mention of improving the chain's graph, which resembles a sin/cos graph. The speaker expressed their confusion and sought guidance on the topic.
theknownothing
Hi again.

So, my teacher has requested that we do an explanation of how this chain works and to some how improve the method.

http://home.comcast.net/~p.jectz/bike.jpg

There's the basic idea with the force acting downwards and the teeth of the chain pulling. So we could find torque to find rotational work, but would I split the circle into radians?

Also, by improving it, when I graph it it's like a sin/cos graph and fluctuates up and down and what my teacher wants is how to decrease that.

I know it sounds unclear but I am seriously confused myself.

Any guidiance appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
any thoughts or direction?

Hi there,

The bicycle chain is a crucial component in the functioning of a bicycle. It allows for the transfer of power from the rider's legs to the wheels, propelling the bike forward. To understand how the chain works, we need to explore the concepts of force and torque.

Force is a push or pull that acts on an object. In the case of a bicycle chain, the force is applied by the rider's legs, pushing down on the pedals. This downward force is transferred to the chain, causing it to rotate around the chainring. The teeth of the chain grab onto the teeth of the chainring, creating a torque.

Torque is a twisting force that causes an object to rotate. In the case of the bicycle chain, the torque is created by the force applied by the rider's legs and the resistance of the chainring teeth. The amount of torque depends on the force applied and the distance from the point of rotation, in this case, the center of the chainring.

To measure the torque, we would use the equation T = F x d, where T is torque, F is force, and d is the distance from the point of rotation. Since the chainring is a circle, we would use radians to measure the distance around the circle. So, if the force applied by the rider's legs is 100 N and the distance from the center of the chainring is 0.5 meters, the torque would be 50 Nm.

Now, to improve the method, we need to look at the graph you mentioned. The fluctuation in the graph is due to the varying force applied by the rider's legs as they pedal. This can be improved by having a more consistent force applied, which can be achieved through proper pedaling technique and using gears effectively. Additionally, regularly maintaining and lubricating the chain can also help reduce fluctuations and improve the efficiency of the chain.

I hope this helps clarify the concept of force and torque in relation to the bicycle chain and how it can be improved. If you have any further questions, please let me know. Best of luck with your project!

Related to Bicycle Chain: Exploring Force, Torque & Improvement

What is a bicycle chain?

A bicycle chain is a series of connected metal links that transmit power from the pedals to the wheels of a bicycle.

How does a bicycle chain work?

When a rider pedals the bicycle, the chain rotates around the chainring and the rear sprocket, transferring the force to move the wheels and propel the bicycle forward.

What is force and torque in relation to a bicycle chain?

Force is the energy or strength applied to the pedals, which is then transmitted through the chain to the wheels. Torque is the rotational force produced by the chain as it moves around the chainring and sprocket.

How can the force and torque of a bicycle chain be improved?

The force and torque of a bicycle chain can be improved by using a higher quality chain with smoother and more precise links, proper lubrication, and regular maintenance to keep the chain clean and free of debris.

What are some common issues with bicycle chains and how can they be fixed?

Common issues with bicycle chains include rust, wear and tear, and misalignment. These can be fixed by regularly cleaning and lubricating the chain, replacing worn or damaged links, and adjusting the chain tension to ensure proper alignment.