Terminal velocity of a bicycle under a constant force

In summary: You can then use the initial conditions to solve for v(t), and that will give you the answer to your question.In summary, the velocity of the bicycle decreases as the total force applied to the bicycle increases. However, to find the velocity at a given time, you need to use the initial conditions to solve for v(t).
Imperial Sky
Hello!

The total force F = m*a applied to the bicycle is F = F1 - a*v^2,
where F1 is the initial force applied to the bicycle, a is a constant and v is the velocity.
That means that the total force applied to the bicycle decrease as velocity increases, like a wind resistance decreases acceleration. I know how to find the terminal velocity (maximum velocity that a bicycle can reach under constant initial force), I have to set the total force equal to 0 and then find v.

But how can I present velocity v as a function of time so I can see how velocity on the graph approaches terminal velocity?

Sorry if I didn't explain it well, I wrote in intuitively. I am thankful if anyone can help me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Imperial Sky said:
Hello!

The total force F = m*a applied to the bicycle is F = F1 - a*v^2,
where F1 is the initial force applied to the bicycle, a is a constant and v is the velocity.
That means that the total force applied to the bicycle decrease as velocity increases, like a wind resistance decreases acceleration. I know how to find the terminal velocity (maximum velocity that a bicycle can reach under constant initial force), I have to set the total force equal to 0 and then find v.

But how can I present velocity v as a function of time so I can see how velocity on the graph approaches terminal velocity?

Sorry if I didn't explain it well, I wrote in intuitively. I am thankful if anyone can help me.
Welcome to the PF.

Thanks for re-posting this here in the Homework Help forums instead of the ME forum. :smile: Next time, though, please fill out the HH Template you are provided when starting a schoolwork thread. It helps to organize your equations and thoughts on the question.

Now to your question. Use F=ma to give you the acceleration as a function of time a(t) = F(t)/m, and then integrate that to get the velocity v(t). Does that help?

berkeman said:
Use F=ma to give you the acceleration as a function of time a(t) = F(t)/m, and then integrate that to get the velocity v(t). Does that help?
it's not quite that simple. v=v(t) will be on both sides of the equation (as dv/dt on the left). So the right hand side cannot be directly integrated. Instead, treat it as a differential equation in v and t.

Likes berkeman

1. What is terminal velocity?

Terminal velocity is the maximum velocity that an object can reach when it is falling through a fluid under the influence of a constant force, such as gravity.

2. How is terminal velocity calculated?

Terminal velocity is calculated by dividing the force of gravity by the drag coefficient and the cross-sectional area of the object. It can also be calculated by setting the force of gravity equal to the drag force acting on the object.

3. How does air resistance affect the terminal velocity of a bicycle?

Air resistance, also known as drag, plays a significant role in the terminal velocity of a bicycle. As the bicycle falls, the force of air resistance increases until it becomes equal to the force of gravity, resulting in a constant velocity known as the terminal velocity.

4. Does the mass of the bicycle affect its terminal velocity?

The mass of the bicycle does not affect its terminal velocity. In the absence of air resistance, all objects fall at the same rate regardless of their mass. However, in the presence of air resistance, a heavier bicycle may reach its terminal velocity faster than a lighter one due to its greater force of gravity.

5. Can the terminal velocity of a bicycle be exceeded?

No, the terminal velocity of a bicycle cannot be exceeded under a constant force such as gravity. However, if additional forces such as a strong wind or propulsion are present, the bicycle may exceed its terminal velocity temporarily.