Bicycling is a pain in the neck

• Thread starter EnumaElish
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pain
In summary: I'm sorry, I don't know what that is called. A hybrid with extension bars. A few years went by and I started having incredible neck pains whenever I was crouching over the extension bars and looking ahead at the same time. That forced me to stop biking altogether.If you're having neck pains, it's probably because you're not positioned correctly on the bike. You might be able to fix the position by visiting a bike shop and getting help from a professional.
brewnog said:
Monique, are those photos taken from outside Centraal Station? I think I took the very same picture when I was there!
That makes three of us. :wink:

Physics news on Phys.org
Wow those pics are crazy. How do you know where you put your bike?

As for bike pains, beats me. I rode street, in the sense of at a skatepark on a 20" bike doing tricks for ~4 years and my neck and back are not in very good condition, and I am only 19 :cry:

As for transportation. I ride a bike to the "rapid" bus here that goes almost directly to the university. Only about a 8 minute bike ride there and 10 minute bike ride back. Seems like good exercise on the way back, slow steady up-hill, especially when going against the wind. Fun ride to the bus stop though, almost all down-hill :smile:

I live off of campus in lincoln NE and my bike ride takes about 11 minutes to and 15 minutes from class. A car would take about 12 minutes plus the time to get from your parking to your class (about 6-7 minutes) so technically the bike is faster. I have a fast and expensive bike however, and I brake a few traffic laws by not using cross-walks. I saved about $300 on a parking permit plus the cost of gas and regular maintenance. In certain situations, biking is faster and much less costly. I will however say that I am consuming literally 1000 extra calories a day.

Also, take a look at this:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/HEALTH/diet.fitness/08/24/obesity.oregon.ap/index.html

Oregon is the only state this year that hasnt gotten more obese.

Basically, biking has improved my cardio, saved me money, and saved me time; unfortunately it keeps me from gaining any weight on my 150 lb frame :grumpy:

Last edited by a moderator: