BIDMAS Evaluating Expression Without Calculator

In summary, to evaluate the expression 1-2/32 using BIDMAS rules without a calculator, you can express 1 as 9/9 to make it easier to subtract 2/9. In general, when adding or subtracting fractions, make sure they have the same denominator.
Svetlana_Vein
Hi there,

I'm hoping somebody can help me. I have to evaluate the following expression using BIDMAS rules without using a calculator: 1-2/32

I can get as far as 1-2/9 but the answer is 7/9. I don't understand how to get from 1-2/9 to 7/9 in my head. For instance 2/9 = 0.2 recurring, but 1-0.22222222222 etc doesn't give me 7/9.

Help me! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
I moved your thread to our homework section.

You can express 1 as 9/9, that makes it easier to subtract 2/9.

In general, if you want to add/subtract with fractions, make sure everything has the same denominator.

Likes Svetlana_Vein
mfb said:
I moved your thread to our homework section.

You can express 1 as 9/9, that makes it easier to subtract 2/9.

In general, if you want to add/subtract with fractions, make sure everything has the same denominator.

That is perfect - thank you so much! I didn't even think of that! :)

Svetlana_Vein said:
Hi there,

I'm hoping somebody can help me. I have to evaluate the following expression using BIDMAS rules without using a calculator: 1-2/32

I can get as far as 1-2/9 but the answer is 7/9. I don't understand how to get from 1-2/9 to 7/9 in my head. For instance 2/9 = 0.2 recurring, but 1-0.22222222222 etc doesn't give me 7/9.
Sure it does.
1 - 0.222... (recurring infinitely far) = 0.777... (recurring infinitely far) = 7/9

Likes Svetlana_Vein

1. What is BIDMAS and why is it important in evaluating expressions without a calculator?

BIDMAS stands for the order of operations in mathematics, which stands for brackets, indices, division, multiplication, addition, and subtraction. It is important because it provides a set of rules to follow when evaluating an expression without a calculator, ensuring that the correct answer is obtained.

2. How do I use BIDMAS to evaluate an expression without a calculator?

To use BIDMAS, you must follow the order of operations and solve the expression from left to right. First, evaluate any brackets, then indices, followed by division and multiplication from left to right, and finally addition and subtraction from left to right.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when using BIDMAS to evaluate an expression without a calculator?

Some common mistakes to avoid include forgetting to follow the order of operations, not properly evaluating brackets or indices, and making a mistake with multiplication or division. It is important to double-check your work and use proper notation to avoid mistakes.

4. Can BIDMAS be applied to all expressions?

Yes, BIDMAS can be applied to all expressions involving multiple operations. However, if an expression contains only addition or subtraction, the operations should be performed from left to right without following the BIDMAS order of operations.

5. Are there any alternative methods to BIDMAS for evaluating expressions without a calculator?

Yes, there are other methods such as PEMDAS (parentheses, exponents, multiplication, division, addition, subtraction) and BODMAS (brackets, order, division, multiplication, addition, subtraction). These methods follow a similar set of rules as BIDMAS, but with slight variations in the order of operations.