Bifurcation between two oscillations

In summary, the first bifurcation is a subcritical Hopf bifurcation, while the second bifurcation is not clear to be classified.
onkel_tuca
Hello world!

I've done a few simulations of an emulsion droplet which is actuated by a laser beam. The droplet starts to move due to the laser light. I don't want to talk too much about the physics behind this but more discuss the nonlinear dynamics of the trajectories. Depending on a parameter "1/kappa", the droplet dynamics is either

(1) damped leading to a stop of the drop
(2) oscillating around the beam
(3) oscillating around the beam, but then changing its direction
(4) the droplet shoots completely out of the laser beam and stops.

From my understanding, the first bifurcation between (1) and (2) is a typical Hopf bifurcation. See attached plot. There you see four phase-space plots (velocity vs. displacement) and a plot of the amplitude A and wavenumber \nu(=1/ wavelength) of the oscillations.

However I'm not sure if one can classify the second bifurcation between (2) and (3). In case (3) the dynamics is first along oscillation (2), then the droplet changes direction and increases its amplitude A and wavenumber \nu(=1/ wavelength of oscillation) and stays on the outer orbit.

Thus my question is: Is there a name for a bifurcation between two (very) different oscillations?

Cheers!

Attachments

• bifurcations.png
    bifurcations.png
    35.3 KB · Views: 417
Physics news on Phys.org
onkel_tuca said:
From my understanding, the first bifurcation between (1) and (2) is a typical Hopf bifurcation.

I agree, it seems to be a supercritical Andronov-Hopf, at least this is what your simulation suggests.

onkel_tuca said:
However I'm not sure if one can classify the second bifurcation between (2) and (3). In case (3) the dynamics is first along oscillation (2), then the droplet changes direction and increases its amplitude A and wavenumber \nu(=1/ wavelength of oscillation) and stays on the outer orbit.

It seems to me from your plot that the wave number ##\nu## in case (3) has actually decreased? Could it be that the transition (2) ##\rightarrow## (3) indicates a period doubling (flip) bifurcation while the transition (3) ##\rightarrow## (4) is a fold bifurcation of cycles?

EDIT: You might want to look into Kuznetsov's book, "Elements of Applied Bifurcation Theory". The fourth chapter could be of interest. What is the mathematical form of your model? An ODE?

Hey Krylov,

thanks for your answer. I missed the email about it. The first bifurcation is actually subcritical (the position of the bifurcation depends a little bit on the initial amplitude, i.e. there's a small overlap of the damped (1) and the osc. case (2)).

The mathematical form of the model is rather complex, it's a nonlinear PDE (react.-diff.-adv. eqn) on a sphere coupled to a Stokes equation for the flow field...

There's no period flipping between (2) and (3). Also I've looked up "fold bifurcation of cycles" in Strogatz and I think that's something different than the bifurcation from (3) to (4). Just for fun I'll add a video of the four simulations. There you can see the four cases from top to bottom.

To be honest I'm not even sure if I can call that a "phase space" since trajectories cross each other. In reality my phase space is N>>1 dimensional, and I'm just projecting onto 2 dimensions. Is it still save to do these kind of analyses for a "projected phase space"?

1. What is a bifurcation between two oscillations?

A bifurcation between two oscillations refers to a sudden change or transition in the behavior of a system as a result of a small change in one of its parameters. This can cause the system to move from one stable state to another, leading to the emergence of new patterns or behaviors.

2. How does a bifurcation occur in a system?

A bifurcation occurs when a system reaches a critical point, where small changes in a parameter can cause a large shift in the system's behavior. This can happen when a parameter reaches a certain threshold or when multiple parameters interact in a nonlinear way.

3. What is the significance of studying bifurcations in science?

Studying bifurcations is important in understanding how complex systems behave and evolve over time. It can help scientists predict and control the behavior of these systems, as well as identify critical points where small interventions can have a big impact.

4. Can bifurcations occur in natural phenomena?

Yes, bifurcations can occur in many natural phenomena, such as weather patterns, population dynamics, and chemical reactions. They are also commonly observed in biological systems, such as the behavior of neurons in the brain.

5. How can we visualize and analyze bifurcations?

Bifurcations can be visualized and analyzed using mathematical models and computer simulations. By plotting the behavior of a system over different values of a parameter, scientists can identify the bifurcation points and understand the underlying mechanisms driving the system's behavior changes.