Bifurcation Points and Stability Analysis for x' = x(r - ex)

• Thread starter Jamin2112
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bifurcation
In summary, the conversation discusses a homework question about a system with varying parameters. The fixed points and stability of the system are analyzed for different values of the parameter r. The conversation also mentions the use of diagrams and the criteria for stability based on the derivative of the function.
Jamin2112

Homework Statement

Just making sure I understand this stuff. One question on my homework asks about x' = x(r - ex).

Homework Equations

Definition. From my textbook: "The qualitative structure of the flow can change as parameters are varied. In particular, fixed points can be created or destroyed, or their stability can change. These qualitative changes in the dynamics are called bifurcations, and the parameter values at which they occur are called bifurcation points."

The Attempt at a Solution

So I want to think about how this system changes when r takes on different values.

If r = 0, then we have x' = -xex, which means x' = 0 iff x = 0. As x increases beyond 0, x' decreases, and as x decreases beyond 0, x' increases. So x* = 0 is the only fixed point and is stable.

If r < 0, then, still, x' = -xex = 0 iff x = 0, since r - ex = 0 does not have a solution. As x increases beyond 0, x' decreases, and as x decreases beyond 0, x' increases. So, again, x* = 0 is the only fixed point and is stable.

If r = 1, then then x' = 0 iff x = 0. If x < 0, then x' > 0, and if x > 0, then x' < 0. As x increases beyond 0, x' decreases, and as x decreases beyond 0, x' increases. So x* = 0 is the only fixed point and is stable.

If 0 < r < 1 or 1 < r, then x' = 0 iff x = 0 or ln(r).

^ That's the part that's giving me trouble. Do I have to break it into cases of 0 < r < 1 and 1 < r? I'm afraid I'll have to. This question is very annoying.

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks to be correct apart from this:

Jamin2112 said:
If r = 1, then then x' = 0 iff x = 0. If x < 0, then x' > 0, and if x > 0, then x' < 0. As x increases beyond 0, x' decreases, and as x decreases beyond 0, x' increases. So x* = 0 is the only fixed point and is stable.

If [itex]x < 0[/itex], then [itex]e^x < 1[/itex] so [itex]x' = x(1 - e^x) < 0[/itex]. Thus the origin is stable from above (x > 0), but unstable from below (x < 0).

If 0 < r < 1 or 1 < r, then x' = 0 iff x = 0 or ln(r).

^ That's the part that's giving me trouble. Do I have to break it into cases of 0 < r < 1 and 1 < r? I'm afraid I'll have to. This question is very annoying.

Yes.

Has your textbook mentioned that a fixed point of [itex]x' = f(x)[/itex] is stable if
[tex]\frac{\mathrm{d}f}{\mathrm{d}x} < 0[/tex]
and unstable if
[tex]\frac{\mathrm{d}f}{\mathrm{d}x} > 0?[/tex]

pasmith said:
Has your textbook mentioned that a fixed point of [itex]x' = f(x)[/itex] is stable if
[tex]\frac{\mathrm{d}f}{\mathrm{d}x} < 0[/tex]
and unstable if
[tex]\frac{\mathrm{d}f}{\mathrm{d}x} > 0?[/tex]

Yeah, but I still need to draw the d*** diagrams, so I got to know whether x' > 0 or x' < 0 in these ranges.

1. What is a bifurcation point?

A bifurcation point is a critical value of a system's parameter at which the system undergoes a qualitative change in behavior. It marks the boundary between different types of behavior and can lead to the emergence of new stable states or the collapse of existing ones.

2. How is stability analyzed in a system described by x' = x(r - ex)?

The stability of a system described by x' = x(r - ex) can be analyzed through linear stability analysis, which involves finding the eigenvalues of the Jacobian matrix at a given point. If all eigenvalues have negative real parts, the system is stable. If any eigenvalue has a positive real part, the system is unstable. Bifurcation points occur when the eigenvalues cross the imaginary axis, indicating a change in stability.

3. What is the significance of the parameter r in the equation x' = x(r - ex)?

The parameter r represents the growth rate of the system. It determines the rate at which the variable x changes over time. As r changes, the system's behavior can shift from stable to unstable, or vice versa, at the bifurcation points.

4. Can a system described by x' = x(r - ex) exhibit multiple bifurcation points?

Yes, a system described by x' = x(r - ex) can exhibit multiple bifurcation points. This occurs when the eigenvalues of the Jacobian matrix cross the imaginary axis multiple times as the parameter r is varied. Each bifurcation point marks a significant change in the system's behavior.

5. What are some applications of bifurcation points and stability analysis?

Bifurcation points and stability analysis are commonly used in various fields of science and engineering, such as biology, ecology, economics, and physics. They can help predict and understand sudden changes or transitions in systems, such as population dynamics, chemical reactions, and economic markets. They also play a crucial role in the design and control of complex systems, such as electrical circuits and mechanical systems.