Binary classification: error probability minimization

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding a binary classification scheme that minimizes the total probability of error in problems involving binary classification. This is often done by analyzing the receiver operating characteristic (ROC) curve. The total probability of error is the sum of the probabilities of type I and type II errors. It is shown that a good decision rule is to see whether Y<A/2 or Y>A/2 to decide whether or not the signal is present, but the question remains on how to prove that this rule is optimal compared to an infinite set of possible decision rules.
Bipolarity
Typically in problems involving binary classification (i.e. radar detection, medical testing), one will try to find a binary classification scheme that minimizes the total probability of error.

For example, consider a radar detection system where a signal is corrupted with noise, so that if the signal is present and has value A, the radar detects Y = A + X where X is noise, and if the signal is not present, the radar detects Y = X.

Given the observation Y, one wishes to find a decision rule regarding whether or not the signal was present that will minimize the probability of error. Error occurs either as false positives (type I) or false negatives (type II).

If you know that the noise X is Gaussian with zero-mean and unit variance, one can (with some calculations) show that a good decision rule is to see whether Y<A/2 or Y>A/2 to decide whether or not the signal is present. I think most would agree that this minimizes the total probability of error. However, how would one prove this? There are, after all, an infinite set of possibilities for the decision rule. One could have some weird decision rule like:
A > |Y| > A/2 --> signal is present, otherwise signal is absent, but these would be suboptimal. How one would PROVE that the rule Y>A/2 is optimal in the sense that it minimizes error?

Thanks!

BiP

Physics news on Phys.org
Bipolarity said:
I think most would agree that this minimizes the total probability of error.

How do you define the "total probability of error"?

Binary detectors are often analyzed by looking at their "receiver operating characteristic" (ROC) curve.

The total probability of error is the sum of probabilities of type 1 and type 2 errors respectively. I am aware of the ROC curves, but that does not answer my question.

1. What is binary classification?

Binary classification is a statistical classification technique used to categorize data into two distinct classes or categories. It involves assigning a new data point to one of the two classes based on a set of features or attributes.

2. How is error probability minimized in binary classification?

Error probability is minimized in binary classification by finding the best decision boundary that separates the two classes with the least misclassifications. This can be achieved by using various algorithms and techniques such as logistic regression, support vector machines, and decision trees.

3. What is the role of training data in binary classification?

Training data is used to train a binary classification model by feeding it with a set of known data points, along with their corresponding class labels. This allows the model to learn the patterns and relationships between the features and the classes, which it can then use to make accurate predictions on new data.

4. How do you evaluate the performance of a binary classification model?

The performance of a binary classification model can be evaluated using various metrics such as accuracy, precision, recall, and F1 score. These metrics provide information about the model's ability to correctly classify data and its ability to minimize both false positives and false negatives.

5. What are some common challenges in binary classification?

Some common challenges in binary classification include imbalanced data, where one class is significantly larger than the other, and noisy data, which can lead to inaccurate predictions. Other challenges include selecting appropriate features, choosing the right algorithm, and dealing with missing data.