Binnig's fractal evolution applied to multiple universes?

In summary, Gerd Binnig, a Nobel laureate in physics in 1986, proposed in his article "The fractal structure of evolution" that the laws of nature and everything in the universe have undergone an evolutionary process, influenced by both darwinian evolution and fractal cosmology. This raises questions about whether even the fundamental laws of nature are subject to change in his theory and if multiple universes, as described by Andrei Linde's cosmological inflation models, would also be affected. This idea has been discussed by other physicists, such as Lee Smolin, who has suggested the evolution of laws in his book "Time Reborn".
Suekdccia
Gerd Binnig, Nobel laureate in physics in 1986, proposed in his article "The fractal structure of evolution" [1] that everything in the universe, including its laws, had changed and became what we have got today through a process which mixes some concepts from darwinian evolution and fractal cosmology. I had some questions about this article and mr. Binnig ideas that I would like to clarify:

1. In that article, Binnig says that everything in the universe has resulted from an evolutionary process, including the laws of nature. But does this apply even to the most fundamental laws of nature? Would even the fundamental laws be subject to change in his theory of evolution applied to the entire universe? Or, on the contrary, only low-energy/effective laws could change?

2. Binnig describes his theory as closely related to Mandelbrot's fractal geometry. There are some cosmological theories that are also related to this, like Andrei Linde's cosmological inflation models. In fact, he seems to cite one of Andrei Linde's articles on inflationary cosmology which mixes fractals with the multiverse hypothesis [2] . Linde's models are closely related to the multiverse hypothesis, since they predict the existence of multiple universes. Since he cited Linde's models about multiple universes, was Gerd Binnig considering the possibility that multiple universes could exist? And if that was the case, would all these universes be also subject to change in his cosmological evolutionary process?
[1]: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/016727898990170X

[2]: https://physicstoday.scitation.org/doi/10.1063/1.881088

• Informative
Likes mcastillo356
Space news on Phys.org
I am not familiar with Binnig, but I wanted to comment on this:
Suekdccia said:
Gerd Binnig, Nobel laureate in physics in 1986, proposed in his article "The fractal structure of evolution" [1] that everything in the universe, including its laws, had changed and became what we have got today through a process which mixes some concepts from darwinian evolution and fractal cosmology.

I remember that Lee Smolin has talked about something similar (evolution of laws, but not fractal, as far as I know) a couple of years ago when he released his book "Time Reborn".
See e.g. this clip here, ca 42:20 and onwards.
Though I am not aware of how Smolin's work has progressed since then.

1. What is Binnig's fractal evolution theory?

Binnig's fractal evolution theory is a scientific concept proposed by Nobel Prize-winning physicist Heinrich Rohrer. It suggests that the universe is constantly evolving in a fractal pattern, meaning that patterns and structures repeat themselves at different scales.

2. How does Binnig's fractal evolution apply to multiple universes?

According to Binnig's theory, the fractal pattern of evolution extends beyond our own universe and into multiple parallel universes. This means that similar patterns and structures can be found in other universes, but on a different scale.

3. What evidence supports Binnig's fractal evolution theory?

Currently, there is no direct evidence that supports Binnig's fractal evolution theory. However, some scientists argue that the concept of fractals can be observed in nature, such as in the branching patterns of trees and the shapes of coastlines, which could suggest a fractal nature of the universe.

4. Can Binnig's fractal evolution theory be tested?

At this time, there is no way to directly test Binnig's fractal evolution theory. However, some scientists believe that further research into the nature of fractals and their potential role in the universe could provide more evidence for or against the theory.

5. How does Binnig's fractal evolution theory impact our understanding of the universe?

If Binnig's fractal evolution theory is proven to be true, it could greatly impact our understanding of the universe and its origins. It could also open up new avenues of research and exploration into the nature of parallel universes and the potential for other forms of life to exist within them.