Binomial coefficient modulo 2^n

In summary: Again, this is similar to the previous question. In summary, you can find the power of p in numerator and denominator by induction on m.
erszega
I am trying to prove (or find a counterexample for) this:

Let n be any positive integer, and m any odd integer, with 1 <= m < 2^n. Also, let B(x,y) denote the binomial coefficient, x! /( y! ( x - y )! ). Then

2^n | B( 2^n , m ).

Any help is welcome.

Physics news on Phys.org
For a fixed n, try induction on m. For the base case B(2^n,1) , you need to be able to count the power of 2 in the prime factorizations of (2^n)! and (2^n-1)!.

Once you've done that, if it's true for B(2^n,m) consider B(2^n,m+2). Can you relate the number of 2's appearing in m!(2^n-m)! to the number of 2's in (m+2)!(2^n-(m+2))! ?

erszega said:
I am trying to prove (or find a counterexample for) this:

Let n be any positive integer, and m any odd integer, with 1 <= m < 2^n. Also, let B(x,y) denote the binomial coefficient, x! /( y! ( x - y )! ). Then

2^n | B( 2^n , m ).

Any help is welcome.
Find the power of 2 in the numerator and denominator of B( 2^n , m ).
You will find that power of 2 in numerator=2^n - 1
Power of 2 in denominator=2^n - n - 1
Hence B( 2^n , m ) is divisible by 2^n.

Keep Smiling
Malay

Thanks very much.
Now I am working on this:
p | B( p, n ) for all n, 0< n < p, if and only if p is prime.

B(p,n) divisible by p should be straight forward when p is prime.
If you're stuck in the other direction, you might want to try looking at some examples to see where it goes wrong if p is composite.

erszega said:
Thanks very much.
This is similar to the previous question.
Let a be any composite number.
Let p be a prime factor of a.
Find the power of p in numerator and denominator. You will arrive at your answer.I would be happy if you tell me about how you proceded in the first question.

Keep Smiling
Malay

Back to the first question then, I thought of the following:

the proposition of 2^n | B(2^n, m) is equivalent to saying that

2 * 3 * ... * m | (2^n - 1)*(2^n - 2)* ... *(2^n - m + 1), where
m is odd and m <= 2^{n-1} - 1.

Take sequence A = 2,3,...,m, and B = 2^n-1, 2^n-2,...,2^n-m+1, then
A as well as B have m-1 terms.

2 is a factor of every second term in A, and also of every second term in B, and so 2 divides as many terms in A as in B. Further, 2^k, where k<=n-2, divides every 2^k'th term in A as well as B.

On the other hand, any prime p <= m is a factor of at least the same number of terms in B as in A, because A and B have the same number of terms, which are ... (I don't remember the right word, but they follow each other with a difference of 1), and 2^n contains no other factor than 2, so B, starting with 2^n-1, should contain all the factors, and their powers, that A contains.

The way I say it may be clumsy, but I hope it conveys the idea.

Last edited:
erszega said:
On the other hand, any prime p <= m is a factor of at least the same number of terms in B as in A, because A and B have the same number of terms, which are ... (I don't remember the right word, but they follow each other with a difference of 1), and 2^n contains no other factor than 2, so B, starting with 2^n-1, should contain all the factors, and their powers, that A contains.

You don't have to worry about primes other than 2 at all here. The only thing stopping B(2^n,m) from being divisible by 2^n is a possible lack of 2's, so you can just count the number of 2's in 2 * 3 * ... * m and in (2^n - 1)*(2^n - 2)* ... *(2^n - m + 1).

You can do this by pairing off the even terms (the odds don't matter), eg. when m is 5, you have 2*3*4*5 and (2^n-1)*(2^n-2)*(2^n-3)*(2^n-4). 2 and (2^n-2) both have one 2, 4 and (2^n-4) both have two 2's, similar for the general case. m being odd is important here!

Thanks, in fact I realized I needn't have worried about primes other than 2 very soon after posting my comment. However, it's interesting that the fact that, for B( n, m ), m! divides n*(n-1)*...*(n-m+1) is not as obvious as I would have assumed it was.

erszega said:
Thanks very much.
Consider this
9|B(9,2)

KeepSmiling
Malay

Thanks, then the only if assumption is obviously wrong, while the if part is trivially obvious.

Last edited:
erszega said:
Thanks, then the only if assumption is obviously wrong, while the if part is trivially obvious.

NO! That is not a counterexample. The "only if" direction is claiming:

if p|B(p,n) for ALL n where 0<n<p then p is prime

p=9 does not satisfy p|B(p,n) when n=3. The "for ALL n" is key here. Try the contrapositive for this direction, if p is composite, it's enough to find an n where n does not divide B(p,n).

Yes, of course, how can I forget - that exactly was my point!

I missed the important phrase 'for all n'
I am sorry

Keep Smiling
Malay

I wonder if this is acceptable as a proof:

Assume p is composite. Then choose q a prime factor of p, then
B(p, q) = ( p*(p-1)*...*(p-q+1) ) / ( 2*3*...*q ).
Now there are q terms in p, p-1, ..., p-q+1, therefore q divides only one of them, which is p. Also, q occurs as a factor of any term in the sequence 2,3,...,q only once. That means that q does not divide B( p, q ), and so p does not divide B( p, q ) if q | p and 1< q < p.

Last edited:
erszega said:
Now there are q terms in p, p-1, ..., p-q+1, therefore q divides only one of them, which is p.

True.

erszega said:
Also, q occurs as a factor of any term in the sequence 2,3,...,q only once.

Not true. Some power of q may divide p, and q may then divide B(p,q).

But you're close. Say p=N*q^n, where q does not divide N. You should be able to say the highest power of q that divides B(p,q).

Let me try.
B(p,n)= (p/n)B(p-1,n-1)
Now, B(p,n) is an inteher for all values of n<=p.
B(p-1,n-1) is also an intger.
Now we are given that B(p,n) is divisible by p for all n
Hence n should not divide p (for any value of n)
Hence p is a prime

Keep Smiling
Malay

I think that the only problem with my proof was saying that q does not divide B(p,q). I would rephrase it this way:

Assume p is composite, and q is a prime factor of p.
There are q terms in the sequence p, p-1, ..., p-q+1, therefore q divides only one of them, which is p.
B(p,q) / p = (p-1)*...*(p-q+1) / q!. As q is not a factor of the numerator, B(p,q)/p is not integral.

That looks good erszega, nice work.

MalayInd said:
Hence n should not divide p (for any value of n)

I don't see why this follows from what you had.

shmoe said:
I don't see why this follows from what you had.
There is some logical inconsistency, leave it.

However, it has been proved by erszega.

Keep Smiling
Malay

Related to Binomial coefficient modulo 2^n

1. What is the formula for calculating binomial coefficient modulo 2^n?

The formula for calculating binomial coefficient modulo 2^n is n choose k, where n and k are non-negative integers, and the result is taken modulo 2^n. This can also be written as (n choose k) % 2^n.

2. Why is binomial coefficient modulo 2^n important in mathematics?

Binomial coefficient modulo 2^n is important in mathematics because it is used in a variety of fields, including number theory, combinatorics, and cryptography. It allows for efficient calculations and can be used to find patterns and relationships between different numbers.

3. Can binomial coefficient modulo 2^n be negative?

No, binomial coefficient modulo 2^n cannot be negative. The result of this calculation will always be a non-negative integer, as it represents the number of ways to choose k items from a set of n items.

4. How is binomial coefficient modulo 2^n related to Pascal's triangle?

Binomial coefficient modulo 2^n is closely related to Pascal's triangle, as the coefficients in Pascal's triangle can be calculated using the same formula as binomial coefficient modulo 2^n. However, in Pascal's triangle, the coefficients are not taken modulo 2^n, so the values will be different.

5. Are there any practical applications of binomial coefficient modulo 2^n?

Yes, there are many practical applications of binomial coefficient modulo 2^n. It is used in error-correcting codes in computer science, in generating random numbers in cryptography, and in analyzing the complexity of algorithms. It also has connections to the field of finite fields, which has applications in coding theory and telecommunications.