Bioengineering -> applied math?

In summary: ODEs would be useful after a degree in applied mathematics. Some possible careers after a degree in applied mathematics may include working in industry, consulting, or academia.
jbrussell93
Bioengineering ----> applied math?

I'm a biological engineering major, minoring in math. I certainly will be looking at going to graduate school but I'm not yet sure for which field. My goal right now is to keep my options open for both for as long as possible. Lately I have been thinking about trying to double major in math but this may tack an extra year on to my undergrad studies.

My school only offers a pure math degree, therefore many of the required courses for the math degree are more proof based. Would the double major be beneficial when it comes to graduate admissions for applied math programs or would it be smarter to just take the more "applied" math classes as electives and forget the double major?

Also, is it very common for engineers to get into decent applied math graduate programs? From what I've seen on university websites it seems as if most have backgrounds in math or physics.

Physics news on Phys.org

jbrussell93 said:
I'm a biological engineering major, minoring in math. I certainly will be looking at going to graduate school but I'm not yet sure for which field. My goal right now is to keep my options open for both for as long as possible. Lately I have been thinking about trying to double major in math but this may tack an extra year on to my undergrad studies.

My school only offers a pure math degree, therefore many of the required courses for the math degree are more proof based. Would the double major be beneficial when it comes to graduate admissions for applied math programs or would it be smarter to just take the more "applied" math classes as electives and forget the double major?

Well, in general applied math should involve proofing as well. In terms of pure math vs applied math, it shouldn't matter much whether you study applied math or pure math, it's just mainly the viewpoint and maybe the course content that's slightly different. But you need to check the curricula to see which courses you really want to study.

A formal qualification (i.e. a double major) is not more relevant than relevant courses. If you're into applied math, study applied math courses, rather than the pure math curriculum required for a double major.

jbrussell93 said:
Also, is it very common for engineers to get into decent applied math graduate programs? From what I've seen on university websites it seems as if most have backgrounds in math or physics.

If you've got the required background studies, I don't see why you couldn't. However, engineers in general don't typically go into academic scientific/technical research, which applied math graduate programs are oriented to, but rather enter the corporate world or advance their engineering studies. So that's why you're seeing people with more scientific background studies.

Last edited:
InternetHuman said:
If you've got the required background studies, I don't see why you couldn't. However, engineers in general don't typically go into academic scientific/technical research, which applied math graduate programs are oriented to, but rather enter the corporate world or advance their engineering studies. So that's why you're seeing people with more scientific background studies.

What exactly would be included in the required background studies? Many graduate websites simply say "a strong background in mathematics." What would be useful after ODEs?

Related to Bioengineering -> applied math?

1. What is bioengineering?

Bioengineering is the application of engineering principles and techniques to solve problems in biology and medicine. It involves the use of concepts from various fields such as biology, chemistry, physics, and mathematics to design and create new technologies, devices, and materials to improve healthcare and address biological challenges.

2. How is math applied in bioengineering?

Mathematics plays a crucial role in bioengineering by providing the tools for analyzing, modeling, and predicting biological processes. Bioengineers use mathematical concepts such as calculus, differential equations, statistics, and linear algebra to develop models and simulations of biological systems, design experiments, and analyze data.

3. What are some examples of bioengineering applications in the field of medicine?

Some examples of bioengineering applications in medicine include the development of prosthetics, artificial organs, tissue engineering, drug delivery systems, medical imaging technologies, and biomaterials for medical implants. These innovations aim to improve the diagnosis, treatment, and management of diseases and injuries.

4. What skills are needed to pursue a career in bioengineering with a focus on applied math?

To pursue a career in bioengineering with a focus on applied math, one needs a strong foundation in mathematics, including calculus, statistics, and differential equations. Additionally, knowledge of biology and chemistry is essential, along with skills in computer programming, data analysis, and problem-solving.

5. What are the future prospects for bioengineering with an emphasis on applied math?

The field of bioengineering with a focus on applied math is constantly evolving and has promising future prospects. With the increasing demand for advanced medical technologies and treatments, there is a growing need for bioengineers who can use mathematical methods to solve complex biological problems. This field offers a wide range of career opportunities in various industries, including healthcare, pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, and research institutions.