Biological Hacking of Computers

In summary, a DNA sequence that can produce a buffer overflow when sequenced in a particular sequencing machine has potential uses in security and engineering.
BillTre
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I didn't know whether to put this in Biology and Medical or in Programing and Computer Science so I am putting it in General Discussion.
This article from Wired describes U. of Washington group that has produced a piece of DNA that when sequenced in a particular sequencing machine can produce a buffer overflow which would allow malicious software to take over running the computer.
The article describes their approach, some problems they had, and potential uses much better than I could.
To me the most interesting use mentioned was to put such a sequence into an engineered organism to make it more difficult for someone to sequence their engineered organism and reproduce it.
Someone has already encoded a piece of video in DNA sequence, so this is just another step in that direction.

Likes scottdave, mfb and DrClaude
Computer science news on Phys.org
DNA is not a computer, although it does fit the bill as a way of coding information.
It's just complicated chemistry, not a conspiracy.

• Skeptical
Likes DrClaude
BillTre said:
I didn't know whether to put this in Biology and Medical or in Programing and Computer Science so I am putting it in General Discussion.
This article from Wired describes U. of Washington group that has produced a piece of DNA that when sequenced in a particular sequencing machine can produce a buffer overflow which would allow malicious software to take over running the computer.
The article describes their approach, some problems they had, and potential uses much better than I could.
To me the most interesting use mentioned was to put such a sequence into an engineered organism to make it more difficult for someone to sequence their engineered organism and reproduce it.
Someone has already encoded a piece of video in DNA sequence, so this is just another step in that direction.
And if they put that DNA in a virus...

What is Biological Hacking of Computers?

Biological Hacking of Computers is the process of using biological organisms, such as bacteria or viruses, to manipulate or compromise computer systems.

How does Biological Hacking of Computers work?

Biological Hacking of Computers can work in various ways, including infecting a computer system with a biological agent through physical access, using biological materials to alter the functioning of computer hardware or software, or using biological organisms to extract sensitive information from a computer system.

What are the potential risks of Biological Hacking of Computers?

The potential risks of Biological Hacking of Computers include the spread of harmful biological agents, damage to computer systems and networks, and the compromise of sensitive information. It could also pose a threat to public health and safety if not properly controlled.

How can we protect against Biological Hacking of Computers?

To protect against Biological Hacking of Computers, it is essential to have strong security measures in place, such as firewalls and antivirus software. Regularly updating software and conducting security audits can also help prevent and detect potential attacks. Additionally, proper handling and disposal of biological materials can help mitigate the risks of biological attacks on computer systems.

What are some real-life examples of Biological Hacking of Computers?

One example of Biological Hacking of Computers is the Stuxnet virus, which was designed to target and disrupt Iran's nuclear program. Another example is the use of bacteria to infect a computer's cooling system and cause the computer to overheat and shut down, known as "cyberbiosecurity." Additionally, there have been cases of hackers using DNA to infect computer systems and steal sensitive information, highlighting the potential dangers of this type of hacking.