Number of chromosomes in each step of mitosis in human

• Thread starter FlipStyle1308
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Human
In summary: So in summary, during each step of human somatic cell division, there are 23 pairs of chromosomes present.
FlipStyle1308

Homework Statement

I basically need to find out the chromosome number present during each step of human somatic cell division

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

Here's what I came up with:
interphase g1 - 23
interphase s - 46
interphase g2 - 23
prophase - 23
prometaphase - 23
metaphase - 23
anaphase - 46
telophase - 46
cytokinesis - 23

Can anyone confirm or reject my attempt? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
FlipStyle1308 said:

Homework Statement

I basically need to find out the chromosome number present during each step of human somatic cell division

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

Here's what I came up with:
interphase g1 - 23
interphase s - 46
interphase g2 - 23
prophase - 23
prometaphase - 23
metaphase - 23
anaphase - 46
telophase - 46
cytokinesis - 23

Can anyone confirm or reject my attempt? Thanks.

I was wondering this, too... but I think at one point there are 92... currently trying to google it.

for interphase g1 you meant 23 chromosomes?

it should be 23 pairs of chromosomes! making you 46 chromosomes in all.

23 chromosomes from mum and 23 chromosomes from dad.

then you should correct all the numbers accordingly.

and why would the number of chromosomes be halved from interphase s to interphase g2?

kushal

Mitosis is the name you use when reproductive cells divide. In each reproductive cell there is half the amount of chromosomes (half in sperm cells and the other half in egg cells), when these two go together it makes a single cell with 46 chromosomes.

Every cell in the human body, except reproductive cells, contain 46 chromosomes, therefore, 23 chromosomes are in each cell that undergoes mitosis.

1. How many chromosomes are present in each step of mitosis in humans?

In humans, there are 46 chromosomes present in each step of mitosis. This includes 23 pairs of chromosomes, with one chromosome from each pair coming from the mother and the other from the father.

2. Does the number of chromosomes change during mitosis?

No, the number of chromosomes remains the same throughout mitosis. However, the number of chromatids (replicated chromosomes) may change as they are separated during cell division.

3. What is the purpose of mitosis in relation to chromosomes?

Mitosis is the process by which a cell divides to create two identical daughter cells. The purpose of mitosis is to ensure that each daughter cell receives the same number and type of chromosomes as the parent cell.

4. Are there any variations in the number of chromosomes during mitosis?

While the number of chromosomes remains the same, there can be variations in the number of chromatids during mitosis. For example, during meiosis, the number of chromatids is reduced by half to create gametes with only 23 chromosomes.

5. How does the number of chromosomes in mitosis compare to other stages of the cell cycle?

The number of chromosomes in mitosis is the same as in the G1, S, and G2 phases of the cell cycle. However, the number of chromosomes in mitosis is different from the number in meiosis, as meiosis involves two rounds of cell division resulting in cells with half the number of chromosomes as the parent cell.