Biomechanics of Skiing: Balancing & Knee Forces

In summary: However, there is also a small amount of shear force from the bone on the outside of the knee joint--about 2% of bodyweight. So if someone has a lot of weight on the leg, there will also be a lot of shear force on the knee joint.
FontysPhysioGuy
Hi Everyone!

I am a physio and I'm currently working with some alpine ski athletes. I don't have a lot of experience with this sport, so I tried to understand some basics about the physics and biomechanics of the sport. (The athlete is in my practice for a knee injury).

Looking at the picture, I have some questions.

1) I want to understand how the athlete is able to keep his balance? His COG/COM is way out of his base of support, so why doesn't he fall?
2) I want to understand the forces acting on the knee joint? I tried to make a free body diagram, but I can't work it out...

Can someone please help me with this?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Schermafbeelding 2018-12-29 om 20.05.03.png
    Schermafbeelding 2018-12-29 om 20.05.03.png
    56.1 KB · Views: 371
Physics news on Phys.org
FontysPhysioGuy said:
1) I want to understand how the athlete is able to keep his balance? His COG/COM is way out of his base of support, so why doesn't he fall?
He's making a turn. Much like a racing motorcyclist he's leaning into the turn, so as to counteract the centrifugal force with gravitational component.
FontysPhysioGuy said:
2) I want to understand the forces acting on the knee joint? I tried to make a free body diagram, but I can't work it out...
I'm pretty sure the resultant force should be directed along the axis of the leg, so that there's no unhealthy sideways twisting on the knee. Ideally, as far as the knee is concerned, the forces should be no different than when squatting. But then again, I'm no skier, so I've no idea how close to this ideal do they get in practice.

FontysPhysioGuy said:
Bandersnatch said:
He's making a turn. Much like a racing motorcyclist he's leaning into the turn, so as to counteract the centrifugal force with gravitational component.
That's only half the answer; He's likely also decelerating. Either way, the combined issue is the same: he's roughly vertical with respect to his g-vector, which is the combination of his acceleration (turning and decelerating) and gravity. (though with his legs apart, the COG could be over either, not necessarily exactly centered).
I'm pretty sure the resultant force should be directed along the axis of the leg, so that there's no unhealthy sideways twisting on the knee. Ideally, as far as the knee is concerned, the forces should be no different than when squatting. But then again, I'm no skier, so I've no idea how close to this ideal do they get in practice.
Yes. Another way to think about it is that for any column, the force is always along the axis of the column (even a bent column like on a scissor lift). Columns don't do well with twisting or off-axis forces. Because of the length of the ski, it is possible for the skiier's COG to be forward or behind (more likely behind) his feet, but it is bad form and puts extra stress on muscles/joints. So with proper form, the force vector points from the skiier's COG toward his ankles.

FontysPhysioGuy said:
With the knees bend like this, most of the knee joint force will come from the muscles (mainly quadriceps), and can be more than 4 times bodyweight. See Figure 5F here:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3171531/figure/Fig5/

1. What is the biomechanics of skiing?

The biomechanics of skiing is the study of the mechanical principles and movements involved in skiing, including balance, forces on the body, and the interaction between the skier and their equipment.

2. How does balancing affect skiing?

Balancing is crucial in skiing as it allows the skier to maintain control and stability on the slopes. Proper balance not only improves performance, but it also reduces the risk of injury.

3. What are the forces on the knees while skiing?

The knees are subjected to various forces during skiing, such as compression, shear, and torsion. These forces can increase significantly when skiing at higher speeds or on uneven terrain, which can increase the risk of knee injuries.

4. How can skiers reduce knee forces while skiing?

Skiers can reduce knee forces by maintaining proper posture and technique, using properly fitted equipment, and avoiding high-impact movements such as sudden turns and jumps. Strengthening the muscles around the knees can also help absorb some of the forces.

5. Can biomechanics of skiing help prevent injuries?

Yes, understanding the biomechanics of skiing can help prevent injuries by identifying potential risk factors and teaching proper techniques to reduce strain on the body. Proper equipment and conditioning can also play a significant role in injury prevention.