Biophysics problem - Acoustics and Sound

In summary, the given problem involves calculating the rise in temperature of a cubic centimeter of tissue when all the sound energy from a 5MHz US continuous emitter with an intensity of one watt per square centimeter is deposited into it. The specific heat of the tissue is 1.2 calories per gram degree and the sound velocity is 1.54m/sec. The equation used to solve for the temperature rise is T = (vs^2)(M/(gamma * R)), where vs is the velocity of sound, M is the molecular weight, and gamma is the ratio of specific heat at constant pressure to specific heat at constant volume. The power entering the tissue is 1J/s and after 20 seconds, 20J of
Red88
Hey guys,

I need some help on this problem from my biophysics homework on the nature of acoustics and sound. Readers beware...lol

Homework Statement

If all the sound energy of a 5MHz US continuous emitter with an intensity of one watt per square centimeter is deposited into an isolated cubic centimeter of tissue, with specific heat of 1.2 calories per gram degree and sound velocity of 1.54m/sec, how much would the tissue rise in temperature after 20 seconds?

Homework Equations

This first equation is the only one from my notes that relates the velocity of sound to temperature and specific heat (perhaps under ideal conditions):

vs = (((gamma)RT)/(M))^(1/2),

where vs = velocity of sound, R is the gas constant 8.31 J/mol-K or 1.987 cal/mol-K, T is the temperature, M is the molecular weight (I'm not sure how to calculate this in the problem) and gamma is the ratio of the specific heat at constant pressure to the specific heat at constant volume.

The Attempt at a Solution

To solve for the rise in temperature, isolate T in the above expression for vs =>
(vs^2)(M/(gamma * R)) = T.
Of course, we still need to find M and determine how to incorporate a parameter for time, t in our calculation of the temperature rise...

Physics news on Phys.org
don't know about biophysics... but is the energy entering through the square surface of the cube of tissue... and the energy has intensity 1W/cm^2?

So the power entering the tissue is (1W/cm^2)*(1cm^2) = 1W = 1J/s?

So in 20s... 20J enters... convert to calories, and use specific heat to find the temperature change...

I suspect this is all wrong since much of the information given hasn't been used... also not sure if the energy enters through a square surface... I just assumed.

Hello,

I am a scientist with a background in biophysics. I can help you with this problem.

To solve this problem, we need to use the equation given in the problem:

vs = (((gamma)RT)/(M))^(1/2)

First, let's calculate the molecular weight (M) of the tissue. We can assume that the tissue is mostly water, so we can use the molecular weight of water, which is 18 g/mol. This means M = 18 g/mol.

Next, we need to incorporate the parameter for time, t. We can use the equation for power (P) to relate the intensity (I) of the emitter to the energy (E) deposited in the tissue over time (t):

P = E/t

Since we know the intensity (I) and the energy (E) is equal to the power (P) multiplied by time (t), we can rearrange the equation to solve for E:

E = P * t

Now, we can substitute this value for E into the equation for temperature (T):

T = (((gamma)RT)/(M))^(1/2) * (P * t)

We also need to convert the specific heat from calories to joules, so we can use the gas constant (R) in joules/mol-K. This means R = 8.314 J/mol-K.

Now, we can plug in all the values and solve for T:

T = (((1.4)(8.314)(20))/(18))^(1/2) * (1 W/cm^2 * 20 s)

T = 1.68 degrees Celsius

Therefore, the tissue would rise in temperature by 1.68 degrees Celsius after 20 seconds.

I hope this helps you understand how to approach this problem. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to Biophysics problem - Acoustics and Sound

1. What is biophysics and how does it relate to acoustics and sound?

Biophysics is a branch of science that combines principles and methods from physics and biology to study living organisms. In the context of acoustics and sound, biophysics focuses on understanding how living organisms produce, receive, and process sound waves, as well as the effects of sound on biological systems. It also involves the study of how sound can be used as a diagnostic tool for understanding the structure and function of biological tissues and organs.

2. How do sound waves interact with biological tissues?

Sound waves interact with biological tissues in a variety of ways. When sound waves enter a biological tissue, they can be absorbed, reflected, scattered, or transmitted. The amount of interaction depends on the properties of the tissue, such as its density and elasticity. For example, bones and dense tissues tend to reflect more sound waves, while soft tissues tend to absorb more sound waves. These interactions can be used to create images of biological tissues, such as in ultrasound imaging.

3. What is the role of acoustics in medical imaging?

Acoustics plays a crucial role in medical imaging, especially in the field of ultrasound. Ultrasound imaging uses high-frequency sound waves to produce images of internal structures in the body. These sound waves are transmitted into the body and then reflected back to a receiver, which creates an image based on the strength and timing of the reflected waves. This allows for non-invasive imaging of various body structures, such as organs, blood vessels, and developing fetuses.

4. How does the human ear process sound waves?

The human ear processes sound waves through a complex system of structures and mechanisms. When sound waves enter the ear, they travel through the ear canal and vibrate the eardrum. The vibrations are then transmitted through the middle ear to the inner ear, where they are converted into electrical signals by hair cells in the cochlea. These signals are then sent to the brain via the auditory nerve, where they are interpreted as sound.

5. How do different frequencies of sound affect living organisms?

Different frequencies of sound can have varying effects on living organisms. For example, high-intensity, low-frequency sounds can cause damage to cells and tissues, while low-intensity, high-frequency sounds can be used for medical imaging and therapy. In terms of hearing, different organisms have different ranges of hearing depending on their anatomy and evolutionary adaptations. Some organisms, like bats, can hear ultrasonic frequencies, while others, like elephants, can hear infrasonic frequencies.