BioRad Turbo Blot Transfer Buffer Composition?

In summary, the conversation discusses the purchase of a BioRad Turbo Blot Transfer system and the challenges with the expensive transfer buffer required for it. The speaker is wondering if anyone knows the ingredients and proportions of the buffer. They also mention a possible MSDS and suggest using pre-made 10x tris/glycine buffer instead of making it from scratch.
Dro
Recently, my lab has bought a BioRad Turbo Blot Transfer system. It allows for you to do an efficient 7 minute transfer from a minigel to nitrocellulose. The transfer buffer, however is very expensive because you can only purchase it in conjunction with precut nitrocellulose membranes and thick filter paper, which greatly increases the cost. We've attempted to recreate the buffer using our own reagents, but with no luck (the voltage and current are not comparable to transfers using their recipe, or the transfer is inconsistent.). Basically, I was wondering if anyone had any clue as to what might be in this buffer and the proportions? I know this is rather specific, but it's worth a shot.

Biology news on Phys.org
I think this is the correct MSDS?

http://www.bio-rad.com/webroot/web/pdf/WWMSDS/LSGC/USA/USA_USA_1704159.pdf

Looks like a standard transfer buffer, but instead of methanol, they might be using ethanol. You should be able to tell by the smell (or maybe biologists just don't know the difference in smell).

If that isn't the right MSDS, just look for it. They're practically required by law to have one for the kit which should list most of the ingredients. It's not worth the time or headache to make transfer buffer from scratch (in case your transfer doesn't work. Were my reagents good? Did I adjust the pH right?). Just buy a big 5L cube of 10x tris/glycine buffer and make it from there, it isn't that expensive.

What is the composition of BioRad Turbo Blot Transfer Buffer?

BioRad Turbo Blot Transfer Buffer is composed of Tris, glycine, methanol, and SDS. It also contains pH stabilizers to maintain a consistent pH level.

What is the purpose of the components in BioRad Turbo Blot Transfer Buffer?

Tris and glycine are buffering agents that help maintain a stable pH during the transfer process. Methanol and SDS are used to improve the transfer efficiency and increase the speed of the transfer.

Can BioRad Turbo Blot Transfer Buffer be used for both wet and semi-dry transfers?

Yes, BioRad Turbo Blot Transfer Buffer is designed to be used for both wet and semi-dry transfers, making it a versatile option for various transfer methods.

What is the recommended dilution ratio for BioRad Turbo Blot Transfer Buffer?

The recommended dilution ratio for BioRad Turbo Blot Transfer Buffer is 1:10. This means that for every 1 part of the buffer, 9 parts of water should be added.

Does BioRad Turbo Blot Transfer Buffer contain any hazardous chemicals?

Yes, BioRad Turbo Blot Transfer Buffer contains methanol, which is a flammable and toxic chemical. It is important to handle this buffer with caution and follow proper safety protocols.

Back