Biot Savart, Intersecting Currents, and Calculating Magnetic Fields

In summary, two infinitely long straight wires in the same plane carry currents depicted in Figure P.48. At point P located 24 cm from the intersection of the wires along the bisector of the acute angle between them, the magnetic field is equal to the sum of the fields caused by the 30 A and 10 A wires, calculated using the Bio-Savart Law. At point S, located 20 cm from the intersection of the wires along the bisector of the obtuse angle between the wires, the total magnetic field is the sum of the fields caused by the 10 A and 30 A wires, calculated using the same method. However, a simpler approach would be to use Ampere's Law and decompose the
cwatki14
Two infinitely long straight wires lie in the same plane and carry the currents depicted in Figure P.48.
p20-48.gif

(a) Find the magnetic field at the point P located 24 cm from the intersection of the wires along the bisector of the acute angle between them.
(b) Find the magnetic field at the point S, located 20 cm from the intersection of the wires along the bisector of the obtuse angle between the wires.

Here's my solution which is wrong...:
At point P a magnetic field is created by the wire with the 30 A current and the wire with the 10 A current. You should be able to arithmetically add these fields since they both lie in the same plane, the z plane.
The Bio-Savart Law states:
B(vector)=([tex]\mu[/tex]/4[tex]\pi[/tex])(I)([tex]\int[/tex]dlxr/r^2)
At point P: The magnetic field is equal to the sum of the field caused by the 30 A wire and the 10 A wire.
http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs259.snc1/10621_1139688773814_1275240494_30745014_2380313_n.jpg
This image represents the triangle created by the point and the wires. I used this to calculate the l and r vectors.
The field of the 30 A on P is is:
([tex]\mu[/tex]/4[tex]\pi[/tex])(30A)((.2078)/(.12)^2)
=4.3301e-5 T in the positive z direction
the cross product of l x r indicates that B has a positive value.
The field of 10 A on P is similarly calculated, but from the image of the wires, l x r should give a B field in the negative z direction. I am not going to plug all the numbers in because they are pretty much the same, just the values for I change and the direction of the B vector is now negative.
Thus the total B field on point A is the magnetic field due to 30A - magnetic field due to 10A.
I calculated for the point S in the same manner, except here I think the two B vectors are in the positive z direction so they add. So the total magnetic field at S=field caused by 10A + field caused by 30A.

I don't know if I am using the wrong equation, or my right hand rule is wrong. Please help, it's killing me!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not exactly sure how this system would work since one wire can exert a magnetic force on the other. But ignoring that, you could just take the net magnetic field at P by analyzing the magnetic field induced by each individual wire. For one wire, you'll have to integrate from -INF to +INF. You also have to take into account that the magnetic field is a vector (so you'll have to a take into account the vector sum when integrating).

Gear300 said:
I'm not exactly sure how this system would work since one wire can exert a magnetic force on the other. But ignoring that, you could just take the net magnetic field at P by analyzing the magnetic field induced by each individual wire. For one wire, you'll have to integrate from -INF to +INF. You also have to take into account that the magnetic field is a vector (so you'll have to a take into account the vector sum when integrating).

I thought dl was just the length of the wire that creates the the intersection of point p, which I drew out in the triangle picture. The opposite of the triangles represent the length r, and the adjacent components represent the magnitude of the l vector.

The dl x r in the Biot-Savart Law is a cross product between the displacement vector of the current (dl) and the radial distance from a particular dl (r). Since the wires are infinitely long, the currents are traveling an infinite path (so you'll have to integrate dl from -INF to +INF for each wire). At the same time, you'll have to take into account that the angle between dl and r changes over this interval. You'll also have to take into account that the magnetic field is a vector (so when you're integrating from -INF to +INF some of the components of the magnetic field will cancel out). You should end up getting a general equation for the magnetic field at a point P from a wire -- you can apply that to both wires.

To get B at a distance R from a long, current carrying wire, you have to integrate Biot-Savart's Law for the whole length of the wire, and the integration is a bit tricky. But you certainly have learned about Ampere's law, use it instead.

ehild

You are making the problem unnecessarily complicated. Use Ampere's Law:
B . dl = Mu0 N I, or
B . 2 Pi R = Mu0 N I, or
B = Mu0 N I / (2 Pi R)
Decompose the field from each of the two wires into its Cartesian components, add these components into the total field, and lastly compute the vector total field.

Carl_Weggel@Juno.com
978-474-0396

Related to Biot Savart, Intersecting Currents, and Calculating Magnetic Fields

1. What is the Biot Savart Law?

The Biot Savart Law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that describes the magnetic field generated by a steady electric current. It states that the magnetic field at a point due to a current element is directly proportional to the magnitude of the current, the length of the current element, and the sine of the angle between the current element and the distance vector from the current element to the point.

2. How do I use the Biot Savart Law to calculate a magnetic field?

To use the Biot Savart Law to calculate a magnetic field, you will need to determine the magnitude and direction of the current, the distance from the current element to the point where you want to calculate the magnetic field, and the angle between the current element and the distance vector. Then, you can use the formula B = (μ0/4π) * (Idl x r)/r^3, where μ0 is the permeability of free space, Idl is the current element, and r is the distance vector.

3. What are intersecting currents?

Intersecting currents are two or more electric currents that cross each other at a point in space. When this happens, the magnetic fields generated by each current interact with each other, resulting in a net magnetic field that is different from the individual fields. This phenomenon is important in understanding the behavior of electromagnets and other electric devices.

4. How do I calculate the magnetic field at a point due to intersecting currents?

To calculate the magnetic field at a point due to intersecting currents, you can use the superposition principle. This means that you can calculate the magnetic field at a point by adding the magnetic fields generated by each individual current. You will need to use the Biot Savart Law for each current, taking into account the direction and magnitude of each current and the distance between the current element and the point.

5. What are some applications of calculating magnetic fields using Biot Savart Law and intersecting currents?

The ability to calculate magnetic fields using Biot Savart Law and intersecting currents has many practical applications. It is used in designing and analyzing electric devices such as motors, generators, and transformers. It is also important in understanding the behavior of Earth's magnetic field and its effects on our planet. Additionally, this knowledge is crucial in medical imaging techniques such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).