Bismuth Bulk-electronic structure

In summary, the conversation discusses the characteristics of the electronic structure of semi-metals, specifically focusing on Bismuth. The main characteristic mentioned is the very low density of conduction electrons, with an estimated range of 10-3 to 10-5 electrons per atom. The discussion also touches on the use of singular vs plural when referring to characteristics and the potential sources of confusion in the question.
physicist888
hi all
as known, Bismuth is a semi-metal. the question is:
What is the characteristic of the electronic structure of this family (Semi-metal).

Physics news on Phys.org
The semimetals have a very sparsely populated conduction band, with somewhere between 10-3 to 10-5 electrons per atom in it. I'm not sure if there is exactly one such partially filled band, but if not, I do believe the total occupancy of all partially filled bands is approximately in the above range.

that's right. infact, when they ask ( what's the characteristic of electronic structure of metal or whatever) that's mean that we should give information about the energy bands?
remark: the characteristic , its not plural, that's mean there's one characteristic.

physicist888 said:
that's right. infact, when they ask...
Who is "they"? Where is this question from? I'm not sure why they would use the singular for "characteristic" but, it may just possibly be accidental.

in all the questions in the unsolved exercises that I've found it on the internet ( in french ) they ask about the family about the element and then about the characteristic of the electronic structure of this family. for example, to which family participate the Bismuth? what is it the characteristic of the electronic structure of this family?

so my answer is that the bismuth is an element of the family of semi-metal. but i don't understand what they want me to talk about in the second question, cause its singular and that's mean 1 characteristic and ther'are a lot of things to say for a such question as answers.
i hope youve understand the problem.
wait your help now ;)

If I had to pick one, I would go with the very low density of conduction electrons. Another way of describing the same thing is in the difference between the Fermi energy and the conduction band minimum. For the semimetals, this difference is just a few tens of meV.

Related to Bismuth Bulk-electronic structure

1. What is the electronic structure of bulk bismuth?

The electronic structure of bulk bismuth is characterized by its unique semimetallic properties. It has a layered crystal structure with five valence electrons, making it a poor conductor of electricity. However, it has a very low thermal conductivity, making it useful for thermoelectric applications.

2. How does the electronic structure of bismuth affect its properties?

The unique electronic structure of bismuth gives it its distinctive properties, such as its low electrical conductivity and high thermal conductivity. It also contributes to its low melting point and high diamagnetism.

3. What is the band structure of bulk bismuth?

The band structure of bulk bismuth is complex, with multiple bands of energy levels that overlap and create a semimetallic structure. This contributes to its low electrical conductivity and high thermal conductivity.

4. How does the electronic structure of bismuth differ from other elements?

Bismuth's electronic structure differs from other elements due to its five valence electrons, which creates a unique layered crystal structure. This structure gives it its semimetallic properties and sets it apart from other elements in the periodic table.

5. What applications are based on the electronic structure of bismuth?

Bismuth's electronic structure plays a crucial role in various applications, such as thermoelectric devices, low-melting alloys, and pharmaceuticals. Its semimetallic properties also make it useful in the production of semiconductors and superconductors.