Electronic band structure of iron superconductor BaFe2As2

In summary, identifying the bands that participate in conduction in a multiband system, such as the superconductor BaFe2As2, is not a simple task and requires the use of techniques such as DFT. Factors such as hybridization and crystal-field splitting complicate the band structure and it is not possible to accurately predict which bands will be involved in conduction. Instead, postdiction of band structures is more reliable.
cynth
how can I determinate the electronic structure of a multiband system? for example in the case of the superconductor BaFe2As2 , the electronic properties are as known dominated by 5 Fe d states at the fermi energy, so 5 bands cross the Fermi level and form 5 Fermi surface sheets (if we consider 1Fe/unit cell) and they are responsable for conduction, and then, we can determinate the electron and hole pockets of the structure...

I don't get first how to identify the bands that participate in the conduction, the iron is in the configuration of Fe2+, isn't it? Doesn't that mean that the electronic configuration is like [Ar] 4s2 3d4 and then we have only 4 valence electrons in d orbitals? so the last d orbital isn't empty? if so, from where it comes the 5 d bands that crosses the Fermi level?

my mind is in a mess, maybe I'm totally wrong and important considerations should be taken into account , I need some clarifications if possible please

Physics news on Phys.org
cynth said:
I don't get first how to identify the bands that participate in the conduction, the iron is in the configuration of Fe2+, isn't it? Doesn't that mean that the electronic configuration is like [Ar] 4s2 3d4 and then we have only 4 valence electrons in d orbitals? so the last d orbital isn't empty? if so, from where it comes the 5 d bands that crosses the Fermi level?

As general rule, it is not very reasonable to expect that atoms, when condensed into a material, will follow a simple Hund's filling. Here is an article on the 122 pnictides that includes both theory and experiment that demonstrate the important role of correlations in establishing the electronic properties, including filling.

Likes cynth
cynth said:
how can I determinate the electronic structure of a multiband system? for example in the case of the superconductor BaFe2As2 , the electronic properties are as known dominated by 5 Fe d states at the fermi energy, so 5 bands cross the Fermi level and form 5 Fermi surface sheets (if we consider 1Fe/unit cell) and they are responsable for conduction, and then, we can determinate the electron and hole pockets of the structure...

my mind is in a mess, maybe I'm totally wrong and important considerations should be taken into account , I need some clarifications if possible please

You can't simply look at the configuration of each individual atoms and expect that you can get an accurate idea of what bands do what. This is a many-body effect, and you have overlaps and hybridizations, etc... all complicate the picture.

For example, just look at the tight-binding band structure. Look at how the band dispersion changes just by going from including nearest neighbor to next-nearest neighbor in the hopping integral.

This is why people have to use techniques such as DFT to calculate band structures. And even then, the band-structure picture can have limitations.

Zz.

Likes cynth
Likes cynth
You can do a little prediction to get a very rough idea of band structures. Postdiction of band structures is much easier; really truly understand Ashcroft & Mermin and you can do it.

Here's a starting point for you:

Localized f-electrons are going to have rather flat bands. Where will they be? Take the elemental energy level and shift it using the dielectric constant of the material (don't know that? Then guess using a similar material).

d-bands? These are more hybridized, but if the atom is in an octahedra they'll be split into two band and three bands. Distorted octahedra will split these further. You can look up other crystal-field splitting symmetries.

s- and p-electron bands are going to disperse more. But they are going to cross many other bands so there will be a lot of hybridization where they cross.

To determine the band that is involved in the conduction you just look at the band structure and see which one crosses the Fermi energy. However, your description won't work because even if you considered pure d-bands near the Fermi energy, parts of all bands could cross the Fermi energy which like ZapperZ said won't follow Hunds rules filling.

1. What is the electronic band structure of iron superconductor BaFe2As2?

The electronic band structure of BaFe2As2 is a representation of how the energy levels of electrons are distributed in the material. It shows the allowed energy states for electrons to occupy, which are determined by the arrangement of atoms in the crystal lattice.

2. How does the electronic band structure of BaFe2As2 contribute to its superconductivity?

The electronic band structure of BaFe2As2 plays a crucial role in its superconductivity. It is characterized by a unique feature known as the Fermi surface, which is a closed loop in the band structure that represents the energy levels at which electrons can move freely. This Fermi surface plays a critical role in the formation of Cooper pairs, which are responsible for superconductivity.

3. What is the significance of the shape of the Fermi surface in BaFe2As2?

The shape of the Fermi surface in BaFe2As2 is significant because it determines the strength of the electron interactions that lead to superconductivity. In this material, the Fermi surface has a complex shape with multiple pockets, which allows for strong electron interactions and thus, high-temperature superconductivity.

4. How does the electronic band structure change at the superconducting transition temperature in BaFe2As2?

At the superconducting transition temperature, the electronic band structure of BaFe2As2 undergoes a significant change. The energy gap, which represents the energy required for an electron to break free from its paired state, opens up in the Fermi surface. This change is a key indicator of the onset of superconductivity.

5. Are there any other factors that influence the electronic band structure of BaFe2As2?

Yes, there are other factors that can influence the electronic band structure of BaFe2As2. These include temperature, pressure, and the presence of impurities in the material. Changes in these factors can alter the Fermi surface and affect the material's superconducting properties.