Black body radiation, question arising from a book

In summary: The peaks in the energy densities corresponding to frequency and wavelength are not at the same position on the graph due to the way that energy is measured. The peak in frequency is shifted by a factor of c/lambda^2.
fluidistic
Gold Member
In the book "Introduction to the structure of matter" by Brehm and Mullin, page 78. They say "It should be empathized that there is no reason for the peak positions [tex]\mu _m[/tex] and [tex]\lambda _m[/tex] in the respective distributions to be connected by the relation [tex]c=\mu \lambda[/tex]. They are talking about the blackbody frequency and wavelength spectra. On a graph the independent variable would be either [tex]\mu[/tex] or [tex]\lambda[/tex] and the dependent variable, [tex]M_ \mu (T)[/tex] or [tex]M _\lambda (T)[/tex].

I do not understand at all how, for a given temperature, a body would emit a peak of frequency [tex]\mu _m[/tex] that does not correspond to a peak of wavelength given by the formula [tex]\lambda _m =\frac{c}{\mu _m}[/tex].
Can you explain to me what's going on?

Science news on Phys.org
I know I am going to explain this poorly but...

It has to do with the fact that we look at the energy over a bandwidth of frequency or wavelength. These peaks are the peaks in the spectral energy densities, which I will call the function \rho. By itself, \rho is meaningless because it is a density. If you wish to find the actual energy you need to integrate it across the frequency or wavelength. Thus, the actual infinitesimal energy is
[tex] \rho(\nu)d\nu [/tex]
[tex] \rho(\lambda)d\lambda[/tex]
This is kind of like the same thing that happens when we talk about wavefunctions in that the magnitude is the probability density but the meaningful probability is |\Psi(x)|^2dx.

Ok, so the peak energies should be the same, thus,

[tex] \rho(\nu)d\nu = \rho(\lambda)d\lambda [/tex]
[tex] \rho(\nu)\left| \frac{d\nu}{d\lambda} \right| = \rho(\lambda) [/tex]
[tex] \rho(\nu) \frac{c}{\lambda^2} = \rho(\lambda) [/tex]

Now using this relation you can properly account for the difference in the peak energy densities.

Sorry for being so late on this, but thank you.
However can you explain me why [itex]\big | \frac{d \nu }{d \lambda} \big |=c/\lambda ^2[/itex]?
Because there's a problem in Brehm's book that asks me to calculate the product [itex]\nu _m \lambda _m[/itex] and to realize that it's not worth c. Though I must "consider the derivations of the dependence of [itex]\nu _m[/itex] and [itex]\lambda _m[/itex] on the temperature".

Because the relationship between frequency and wavelength is [itex]c = \lambda \nu [/itex]. Thus,
[tex] \frac{d\nu}{d\lambda} = \frac{d}{d\lambda} \frac{c}{\lambda} = -\frac{c}{\lambda^2} [/tex]

Ah ok thank you.
So does this mean that the peak in the frequency [itex]\nu[/itex] is shifted by a factor [itex]\frac{c}{\lambda ^2 }[/itex] compared to the peak in the wavelength [itex]\lambda[/itex]?

Related to Black body radiation, question arising from a book

1. What is black body radiation?

Black body radiation is the electromagnetic radiation emitted by a perfect black body, which is an idealized object that absorbs all radiation that falls on it and reflects none. It is characterized by a continuous spectrum of radiation that depends only on the temperature of the object.

2. How does black body radiation relate to the book?

The concept of black body radiation is often used in literature, particularly in science fiction, to explain advanced technologies or phenomena. It may also be referenced in books that discuss physics or the history of science.

3. What is the significance of black body radiation in scientific research?

Black body radiation is important in many areas of science, including astronomy, thermodynamics, and quantum mechanics. It has been used to study the properties of stars, understand the behavior of materials at high temperatures, and develop new theories about the nature of light.

4. How does black body radiation differ from other types of radiation?

Black body radiation is unique in that it is emitted by an object solely based on its temperature and is not affected by its material or shape. Other types of radiation, such as thermal radiation or light, can be influenced by the properties of the emitting object.

5. Can black body radiation be observed in everyday life?

Yes, black body radiation can be observed in everyday life. For example, when a metal object is heated, it will emit infrared radiation that can be detected by thermal imaging cameras. Additionally, the glow of a candle flame or an incandescent light bulb is due to the emission of black body radiation.