A question on elasticity from Kittel's Solid State Physics book

In summary, the author of the book introduces elasticity, and discusses how it is represented by constants (c,e). He then introduces the equation that is mentioned in the 3ed chapter, and explains that it is a way to calculate the spring energy for elastic material. He then goes on to explain that the equation is represented by coefficients (e,C), and that the derivative of (free) energy w.r.t geometry changes renders the constant coefficient tensor.
hagopbul
TL;DR Summary
reviewing the introduction to solid state physics by charles kettle and in the 3ed chapter there is this equation that is little unclear
Hello All :

i am reviewing charlse kettle book introduction to solid state physics and came across an equation in the 3ed chapter which is a bit unclear
hope that physics forums members can clear it more if that possible

the equation 1st mentioned in the 3ed chapter page number 84
it is about the elastic energy density U :

##U =(1/2)\sum_{\lambda=1}^{6}\sum_{\mu=1}^{6}[C_{\lambda\mu}e_{\lambda}e_{\mu}]##

then the writer start deriving the above equation which i didnt understand , could any one explain it especially that the above equation is consist of constants (c,e)?

Best
Hagop

Physics news on Phys.org
hagopbul said:
TL;DR Summary: reviewing the introduction to solid state physics by charles kettle and in the 3ed chapter there is this equation that is little unclear

Hello All :

i am reviewing charlse kettle book introduction to solid state physics and came across an equation in the 3ed chapter which is a bit unclear
hope that physics forums members can clear it more if that possible

the equation 1st mentioned in the 3ed chapter page number 84
it is about the elastic energy density U :

##U =(1/2)\sum_{\lambda=1}^{6}\sum_{\mu=1}^{6}[C_{\lambda\mu}e_{\lambda}e_{\mu}]##

then the writer start deriving the above equation which i didnt understand , could any one explain it especially that the above equation is consist of constants (c,e)?

Best
Hagop
Cλμ are the elastic moduli (constants)
ei are strains (not constants)

it is essentially the spring energy (½kx2) for elastic materials

thanks but if they are constant shouldnt the derivative of C and e be = 0 in the book e also constant
you will read in the above pages coefficients

" it is usual to work with coefficients e rather than epsilon"

the writer give the impression that he get e from deriving a 1st degree equation

I do not have Kittel in front of me. So I am responding blind.

Derivative with respect to what?

There is no reason for the derivative of strain to be zero.
Cij is commonly a constant. I believe the equation you wrote requires it to be, but I might be wrong.

Likes hagopbul
tomorrow i will take a screenshot of the pages and paste them here excuse me in is near 2 am here

Likes Frabjous
I took a look at Kittel. He is trying to motivate waves in cubic crystals. I do not think it is a particularly insightful motivation.

It is Kittel and not Kettle. (Unless Ma and Pa Kettle wrote a textbook)

Likes jim mcnamara
Vanadium 50 said:
It is Kittel and not Kettle. (Unless Ma and Pa Kettle wrote a textbook)
I've changed the title.

Likes Vanadium 50
My two cents, mathematically, it's basically an energy expression expanded in terms of six degree of freedoms to the 2nd order of geometry changes (those e_i). Since the solid is stable, thus 1st term vanishes, only the quadratic term is left. The derivative of (free) energy w.r.t geometry changes renders the constant coefficient tensor. One can then write in the compact fancy form of repeated summation over 6 indices.

Drakkith said:
I've changed the title.
I do not believe that Kittle is better than Kettel. :wink:

• Haha
Likes Vanadium 50
Frabjous said:
I do not believe that Kittle is better than Kettel. :wink:
Hah! Touché. Title changed again. Or is it titel? :wink:

Likes Frabjous and hutchphd
thanks for changing the title it was 2 am , and going to post the pages in few hours

Likes Drakkith

1. What is elasticity in the context of solid state physics?

Elasticity in solid state physics refers to the ability of a material to deform under applied stress and return to its original shape when the stress is removed. This property is important in understanding the mechanical behavior of materials and is described by the stress-strain relationship.

2. What is the difference between elastic and inelastic materials?

Elastic materials exhibit a linear stress-strain relationship, meaning that the amount of deformation is directly proportional to the applied stress. Inelastic materials, on the other hand, do not return to their original shape after the stress is removed and may exhibit plastic deformation or fracture.

3. How is elasticity related to the atomic structure of a material?

The elasticity of a material is determined by the interatomic forces between its constituent atoms. In a solid, these forces act like springs, allowing the material to deform under stress and return to its original state when the stress is removed.

4. What is the significance of the Young's modulus in elasticity?

The Young's modulus, also known as the elastic modulus, is a measure of a material's stiffness. It relates the stress applied to a material to the resulting strain and is an important parameter in understanding the mechanical properties of a material.

5. How does temperature affect the elasticity of a material?

Temperature can affect the elasticity of a material in several ways. As temperature increases, the interatomic forces weaken, causing the material to become more deformable. At high enough temperatures, materials may exhibit phase transitions, which can significantly alter their elasticity. Additionally, thermal expansion can also impact the elastic properties of a material.